Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1965 2A1 Refurb.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okchief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 2A1 Refurb.
    Posted: January 02 2016 at 1:02pm
I'm doing a complete teardown and refurbish of a 1965 Ishy. Charles Stratton's book shows the barrel screws into the Action body assembly. Has anyone unscrewed the barrel from the action body? Are there special tools required, specific torque settings for re-assembly? Is this even a good idea or should I refurb with the barrel/action body attached as is?  Clamping the barrel so it doesn't spin seems to be the biggest hurdle to separating the two.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2016 at 10:04pm
Nope, forget taking the barrel off the receiver.
Ya don't pull the engine when detailing a vehicle.
Pro Deo et Patria
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 5:58am
YES!
You must have a "barrel vice" & a "receiver wrench" specifically designed for that model & mark of rifle or there's a good chance you'll warp the receiver.
Those are screwed in there tight!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 8:59am
Yes to what ?
Barrel vise and receiver wrench as SOP to remove the barrel ?
or
Removing the barrel for a home refurb ?
Pro Deo et Patria
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 1:05pm
Must have barrel vice & receiver wrench to remove barrel.
(for any reason)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 5:34pm
Just my point.
Your answer, as worded, seemed to give the impression that one should remove the barrel from the receiver to do a refurb.
Pro Deo et Patria
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 5:43pm
do post photos of your journey , we all want to see this one , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 7:48am
Not my intent, sorry.
Okchief View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okchief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 8:58am
Thanks to all for the replies. This is my first attempt at a weapon refurb. although I've done refurbs on other things and do a lot of my own DIY's around the house and am pretty handy.
Someone asked for some before pics so here they are.  The furniture is in decent shape, the butt stock is the most beaten up. All the metal was coated in the rock hard black paint like substance with gaps and a little rust. The barrel is not in the best of shape so that's why I plan to completely strip and re-blue or re-black it.
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 9:47am
Figured that. Just a clarification for a novice.
Pro Deo et Patria
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 4:37pm
that black paint is the original finish , these were not blued or parkerized , the finish is always in some less than perfect condition , but these are found in fairly nice original look sometimes as well , ive seen refinishes that approach the original look quite well , 

again post more photos as you progress down this path - we love to see a project fruit 
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 8:41pm
A soda blast (not bead blast) followed by a duracoat job will look good on that metal.
Pro Deo et Patria
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 9:07pm
I agree ikesdad. Bead blast leaves a more porous finish and with the new Duracoat finish would not look as original as the old black.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 7:12am
Weren't there 2 paint finishes?
One (fairly decent) was the actual standard finish, while the other (thick, gloppy messy, looking like it was done with a wide paintbrush) was an "extra preservative".
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 8:22am
All the black paint finish I have seen look like it was painted by Hoadie with a cheap brush and bad paint.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Okchief View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okchief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 8:41am
The original furniture came in 3 very different types of wood. The fore end group and the rear hand guard were of a lighter color, the butt stock something a little darker and coarser grained and the front hand guard was the darkest and even coarser grained. It became obvious I couldn't lighten the front hand guard and the butt stock to match the fore end group without possible damage or irreversible bleaching. I decided to darken the lighter pieces to more closely match the front hand guard. Here's what the butt stock and rear hand guard look like after some Minwax Espresso stain in comparison to the fore end group un-stained.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic