Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New bedding method!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New bedding method!
    Posted: January 14 2016 at 11:06am
UPDATE: Having found out since the original post that this stuff contains salt; it's not a good idea to leave it in place. So useful for testing clearance etc, but not more than that!

I think I may have discovered the simplest bedding material ever!
Play-Doh.
While adjusting the No1MkIII* wood I had found that there was no contact under the knox form. All accurizing methods state there should be contact here, normally about 3/4" wide by 1" long or there abouts. To find out how much gap there was, I nicked some of my daughter's Play-Doh and put some in this area and built it back up. Removed to examine the thickness. It had squeezed out into a perfect fit around the knox form; so I just scraped off the excess to leave the 3/4" x1" rectangle and decided to let it dry. Initially it was to be just for test. But the stuff sets rock hard after a few days. It doesn't stick to the metal either. It's been in for 6 months now and the rifle still shoots really well.

2 weeks ago I decided to strip the No8 I use for competitions, as it seemed to have lost a bit of accuracy; enlarged groups using same batch ammo as before. The up pressure on the barrel had relaxed a bit. I used some Play-Doh to seal up the small gap at the wrist, there are no recoil lugs on the No8 so it's good to get a close fit here. i also used some under the knox form and once I got the up pressure correct. Left it for a week for the Play-Doh to set. 

Shot it last weekend. It's back to proper form
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 2:07pm
Myocardial infarctions everywhereEvil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 4:31pm
I have always wondered if it would be good to use Play-Doh or something similar to check fitment, especially for the knox form. Now I have my answer. Thanks Zed!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 3:50am
Initially I was just going to use it to check the fit at the knox form. But my daughter had left the top off on of the pots of Play-Doh and it had set rock hard. So that's why I decided to let it dry after shaping. Seems to work well and no mess and will not stick to the metal.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 9:47am
To update this thread; I have found that the Play Doh will absorb moisture and go soft again. So maybe not ideal for a hunting rifle. But still useful for testing or on a rifle thats not getting damp!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 12:29pm
IIRC Paaydoh is wheat flour mostly?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 3:31am
I'm clutching my chest and ringing for an ambulance 
Play Doh is mostly flour and SALT!  You know that stuff that rusts the crap out of rifles made of plain steelShocked 
Play Doh had to change their containers because the steel bottom on the can rusted so badly.
GET IT OUT OF YOUR RIFLE!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 8:16am
Thanks for letting me know about the salt content! Obviously not my brightest ideaEmbarrassed
Although it has been useful for working out were the clearance was when the fore end was fitted.
I have removed the stuff earlier today. There's no trace of rust. 
So I've now fitted some paper shim to bring it into contact. I don't really want to get into glass bedding on this rifle.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 8:37am
My Father in law uses thin sheets of lead as shims.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 12:26pm
I'm, a big fan of Soda can material. (cleaned of course) its thin enough you can build all sorts of thicknesses with folded sheets.Thumbs Up
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 12:17pm
Because my No1 rifle had the wood replaced; I had found the bearing surfaces on recoil lugs were not fitting properly. This put the fore end out of alignment. The rifle shot very badly when I first tried it.
To rectify that I used some brass shims from a .303 she!! case (opened up and flattened out) to shim the recoil lug area. This was useful because the thickness varies over the length; so I could select a suitable piece for each lug. I did have to remove a very slight amount of wood to square the surface a little. But was able to square up the alignment and get the fore end snug against the wrist using this method.
I had used the play doh initially to check the clearance/fit under the know form. Then decided to try it when I'd found it had set. Unfortunately I had not really thought it through regarding what it's made of; so my original post was probably premature!
I will need to make a permanent fix here now, but at least the play doh shows what gap there is when dried out, it can be removed easily.
I have previously used beer can shimming under the trigger guard instead of removing material from the spacer, to get the necessary compression on the main screw. 

I've been trying to see what's best for the No8 rifle also. I have two of these. One has the barrel fully floated from the knox form and the hand guard has been enlarged a little. It was like that when I bought it. The second one is more standard, with barrel contact at the muzzle of about 2-3lbs up pressure, as per the official No 8 manual.
Both these rifles shoot well, but each prefer different ammo. I generally shoot similar scores with either, however the floated barrel does not seem to go off spec. I had noticed the other rifle lost some accuracy after re-doing the linseed oil on the wood; because the up pressure increased. It came back to spec after adjustment. 
Not sure if I should float he barrel on the second one. I'd be interested to hear from other owners of No8's to see what's the best option and also more info on ammo choices. 

DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 7:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic