Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lee-Enfield "Mad Minute"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

I was rewatching Peter Jackson's movie "They shall not grow old" and they talked about the Mad Minute. One scene had about a half dozen soldiers prone shooting... one was a southpaw!

That scene stood out to me as well! I would have thought for sure they wouldn't have allowed left-handedness at that point.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 8:46am
Alot of snipers of yore were in fact left handed. Retrained to fire right handed and as such became ambidextrous shooters. It paid off in spades for some.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 3:05pm
Right hand was preferred & encouraged, but we had southpaw shouters in matches in the 1960's.
To a "Rightie" it looked incredibly uncomfortable & clumsy, but for them it worked.
I have a friend thats forced to be cross dominant because of an eye injury to this right eye. He taught himself to shout Southpaw! You should see him a barricade stations! Switch hitter is a valuable skill to gain.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 3:49pm
My dad taught me to shoot ambidextrously. It is a definitive plus when needed. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 6:21pm
Absolutely!
The skills of "Rifelry" are being lost.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 2:28am
hey guys it is not an easy skill to shooot left and right handed. I need to get some more practice on it but when I regularly shot pistol with a buddy of mine who is a federal prison officer I taught him how to shoot both hands with pistol rifle and shotgun . He ended up topping his class in shooting left and right handed .as a young country boy we would shoot from motor cycles so hand to learn left handed .
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 5:13am
I wished I had learned to shoot left handed.  I’m left eye dominant and I have to close my left eye to shoot.  My right eye is also much more far sighted. 

One of my Dads shooting friends could shoot ambidextrous, when his right eye got tired in a match, he would just switch sides.  

Rapid fire stages must be difficult left handed!
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 1:23pm
Really great thread.
Thanks to Shamu etal.
For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 7:29am
BOTR (Bloke on the Range) gives an interestingly detailed (& Fugly) bit on the rapid fire for the Lee-Enfield.

Almost 20 minutes & IMO worth every one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9raI__rimLc&feature=youtu.be

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 3:07pm
Seen (witnessed) a few mad minute demonstrations in the 60’s,very impressive to say the least.
Wink

Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 2:40pm
We had one at a "Frozen Nutz" winter shoot in PA. It on private land & good for 650yds.
We scraped together about a dozen L-E owners who were willing to "dump brass" & schooled them, one other old squaddie & I were the (informal) instructors as we'd been taught by "Old Contemptibles".
Meet "Granfer Charlie", the man who taught me to shoot.

I forget the year but we had some "Arfcomm" guys there too. Afcomm gets a bad rep but these were good companions.
Then, after individual coaching, we did a Full Monty "Mad Minute" for a whole minute!
It was as you say impressive!

Impressive enough the neighbor (who is a raving maniac) called the cops who thought we were firing full auto! (perfectly legal in PA if you have the paperwork.)
It was originally a massed riflemen technique after all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 4:05pm
A Mad Minute Match would be a lot of fun to add to our Forum Virtual Match but I think with the current shortage of ammunition and components, this is probably ill advised and would not get a lot of support.  

I shot in a M1 Match in January which included a “Rattle Battle” stage, equivalent to the Mad Minute.  No doubt, a line of M1 shooters puts out a hail of serious .30 Cal fire and I would not want to be on the receiving end!

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

A Mad Minute Match would be a lot of fun to add to our Forum Virtual Match but I think with the current shortage of ammunition and components, this is probably ill advised and would not get a lot of support.  

I shot in a M1 Match in January which included a “Rattle Battle” stage, equivalent to the Mad Minute.  No doubt, a line of M1 shooters puts out a hail of serious .30 Cal fire and I would not want to be on the receiving end!

Howdy Britrifles;Yep it would be & thought about it but ammo wise is was basically no starter,not reloader setup here & $25-30 plus box of boolites well just not good economic’s 🙈🤢😉
Cheer’s nonetheless!😉🍻

Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
lyman1903 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyman1903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 6:49pm
never had the chance to shoot a Rattle Battle, but did watch the State Team at Perry a few times, 
friend is a swing man, and another sometimes coaches, 

they used AR's and the hit count was impressive

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 7:54am
The thing with a bolt action is that you have to do a lot more in the 2 seconds each round has.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 10:41am
That is for sure Sham.  For me, it’s even harder as I have to roll my head to clear the bolt, not an efficient position for the mad minute.  It’s fine for CMP rapid prone stage with a looooong 80 seconds to fire 10 shots (clock starts with shooter standing with 5 rounds in mag, bolt closed on empty chamber).  

In the M1 “rattle battle” match I shot in January (60 seconds starting in prone position), I took a comfortable pace, not pushing it, and fired 22 rounds, all scoring in the black at 300 yards.  It would not be too difficult to get that up to 30 or even 32 rounds (4 enbloc clips) but I don’t think I could ever get close to that on the LE. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic