Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

he!!o

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundermtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: he!!o
    Posted: February 03 2016 at 10:51am
He!!o everyone. Thought I'd drop in and say how I ended up here.

I have guns mostly for hunting and recreation. Never really had a whole lot of interest in owning issued military rifles until about a month ago. My Dad had been learning a little about our family history and found that I had a Gr. Gr. Grandfather that served in WWI. Turns out he had been to trenches and was returned stateside after a gas attack. Sadly he didn't last a year after his return.

Well since the American National WWI museum is relatively close I made a trip to see it. WWI seemed to be mostly swept under the rug as far a military conflicts go from what they taught in history in public school. I knew a little but the amount that I learned that day was about 20X what I thought I knew.

The military rifles they had on display were amazing, I've always been a rifle guy, but far and above everything else from tanks and cannons, to trench knives and pistols I couldn't help but be drawn to the smle's. Especially the MKIII*. Something about the lines and function of them hit me and I started reading about them a little more. When I was at the museum and now online found myself amazed about how modern/futuristic this rifle was considering the time, and the huge effect it would play in both of the major wars of the 20th century. It also is a very elegant looking rifle and the combination of form and function is defiantly my favorite of the hundreds of examples of wartime weapons they had on display.

So anyway I'm in the market to find one now. I have a lot to learn but I know generally what I'm looking for. Ultimately I'm looking for advice on what was good, what to watch out for when buying, information on use and maintenance and if I should even shoot one with modern ammo. Would I be endangering a piece of history? I'm going to find out.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 10:03pm
Welcome to the board.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 3:58am
T - MTN:

You state you live close to the U.S. WWI museum.
The American Legion was supposed to have that museum contact me.
I have a boxful of a gent's info from WWI (pics, part of the diary, paybook, women's phone # etc)
They never contacted me.
This stuff belongs in that museum...not here in Canada, gathering dust in my basement.
Maybe you could PM me, for further info. Or make arrangements to have them contact me?
Loose wimmen tightened here
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 6:12am
Welcome!
My paternal grandfather went to France in WWI. Sadly my family knows little about his service, as he was one of those who never really spoke about it once he was back. Luckily he survived as my dad was born in 1934!
I think you'll find everyone here is of the same opinion about Enfield rifles. They are indeed the best Smile
Try to find one from a seller who has fired it and is knowledgeable about them. Or if you find one that looks good to you, try to find a gunsmith who knows about them to check it out before you fire it. One in good shape, even if it's 100 years old, can be safely fired with new ammo.
Thundermtn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundermtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 8:33am
Thanks for the tips.

Here's a link to the museums' FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/theworldwar

If you're not on FB I told them what you have and can act as a liaison. I should hear back from them relatively soon.

Nice to meet you guys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundermtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 8:37am
https://www.theworldwar.org/

Their regular website. They recently completed and major renovation, if you can drive there in less than a day it's well worth going to.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 4:14pm
Welcome to the forum! You asked about shooting the ol' rifles.... Well lots of us around here do just that. I haven't been out in a while with winter and all but soon it will be time to hit the range again. As long as you have the rifle checked out thoroughly and it is deemed safe, there really is no reason not to shoot them. The one I fire the most is a 1917 BSA Mk III*.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundermtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 4:37pm
Cool! That is exactly the make, model, and year I'm looking for. Love how the wrist band on those are stamped. If I find a '15 or '16 it would work though. Anything on those particular guns to watch out for?
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 11:12pm
Oh dear he's got the bug and there's no known antidote. He'll get a rifle then another and continue to collect WW1 and WW11 items for the rest of his life. Big smile You're in good company we're all barmy on here, certified gun nuts with a massive knowledge of enfields. Just 1 point our resident "loony" has an aversion to charger clips being called "Stripper clips" and a rifle is called a rifle not a gun! Mention stripper clips and we have to dart him until he calms down. Meanwhile welcome to the forum.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 3:52am
"GUNS"??!! I thought you we're referring to a RIFLE...

"BALMY"? speak for thyne self, Tony!
(The rest of us are just plain nutz...nothing fancy bout it)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 4:49am
*poink*
*thwock*
"Ouch"
Why is there this feathered syringe stuck in my butt?
Clown
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Oh dear he's got the bug and there's no known antidote. He'll get a rifle then another and continue to collect WW1 and WW11 items for the rest of his life. Big smile You're in good company we're all barmy on here, certified gun nuts with a massive knowledge of enfields. Just 1 point our resident "loony" has an aversion to charger clips being called "Stripper clips" and a rifle is called a rifle not a gun! Mention stripper clips and we have to dart him until he calms down. Meanwhile welcome to the forum.

Strippers you say?

Must have photos but only if they have nice guns.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundermtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 8:57am
So let me see if I have this right?

Charger = correct designation, mind the rims, reloads your rifle
Stripper = covered in glitter, smells like a pina colada, may have her own rifle?

I am going to reserve the right to use either depending on my own situation. The second one would be pretty rare but if I should happen across this, I don't know that I can totally reject the concept.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:17am
Got it in 1 son!! If you find a stripper with her own enfield for gods sake don't let "Hoadie the Gnome" and the rest of these heathens find out, it's difficult enough to control them without them being wound up.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:44am
Another welcome

Both my Grandfathers served in WWI  but on opposite sides.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 3:26pm
"Strippers" your only allowed to use that term if your sitting in the "Sniffin' row!!"

Never mind SW28fan...he's always been a little confused & conflicted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic