Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charger bridge replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halsem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charger bridge replacement
    Posted: February 29 2016 at 3:00am
Hi, I am new to this forum and will hopefully be collecting my first Enfield in a few days.
It has had the charger bridge removed and I know you can buy replacements with rivets.
Can any one advise me on how difficult it is to add the bridge back to the receiver? I have done blind riveting before but I am worried about damaging the receiver.
The rifle is a GRI 1942 Mk3*.

Matt
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 4:06pm
welcome - ive heard it to be difficult - not tried it myself 
halsem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halsem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 10:38pm
Since posting this, I have seen a couple of folks suggest tapping the hole and using a BA bolt and then file the head down.  That sounds less stressful on the receiver as long as the receiver wall is not case-hardened?
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 10:47am
I think the only problem with riveting, is that the holes don't always line up perfectly.

As long as you have the action well supported and use proper soft rivets, it should be ok.
I have one to do as well, and mine is also a RFI, but1930-something.

Richard.

After writing the above, I dug out a fire -killed Enfield action, & removed and polished up the bridge, and it's ready to go on.
The holes in the left side of the bridge align perfectly, but don't know yet about the right side, as there is a stub of the old bridge still attached to the rifle.

More as and when. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 6:39pm
Another problem with bolts, is that the holes on  the left side of the action slant downwards, so would need countersunk heads.

Well I riveted mine on today. Yes, it can be done. I was lucky, the holes matched up!
How's that for lucky.....the bridge from a 1918 fire -killed rifle, mating with a 1933 GRI action?!
How much fiddling about was it?  lots!

How much fun was it?  About as much fun as dysentery!
Still it looks well now, And it works.
Very hard to rivet when you can't get a clean swipe at it, or can't get it fully supported without a lot of messing about.
Mine's only a cut -down I use for hunting, but looked a bit  odd with the bridge chopped off.

R.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 7:53pm
congrats - do post some photos and tell us about the procedure , im not at all certain i would be so bold - but then im old and not so inclined to start major projects these days , been there/done that sort of thing 
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 8:26pm
I get the feeling pukkas no youngster either.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 8:48pm
yes , and much more talented in this area than i as well , it is why we visit these sites after all , i so enjoy hearing of these successes , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 7:18am
Well I do admit to being a bit older these days!

I will take some photos for you, but always think about 'before' pictures afterwards.  I do have the bit of the old bridge that I removed though.
Will get back to you when I've got the camera charged up.
I Did find however, that No 9 fencing wire was a perfect size to make the rivets!

I know I have a box of mixed rivets somewhere around here, but they were hiding on me yesterday.

Richard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 8:26pm
Better late than never.

here's  the GRI rifle with his new bridge.
Also the remaing part of thr old bridge that had to come off, And, the old fire-killed action the bridge came from.
No before pictures, as I always think of that afterwards.
New bridge looks a bit bright at the moment, as I had to polish off the old fire scaling, so fire -blued it a bit.  Fire -bluing is not the same colour as rust bluing.

Sorry it took this long. Lost my camera for the longest time.

Richard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 8:31pm
No clue how to remove the double-posted picture.  Sorry for that!
Here is the one I meant to attach;
The fire-killed action the bridge came from.

R.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 6:49pm
very nice , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 7:06pm
ya know..I hear bout all these rifles with the charger bridge being removed..& makes me wonder why.
It doesn't lighten it up any.
Its certainly not in the way.
So whats the point?
My 1916 PH sport has been drilled for a scope- but none ever mounted..the bridge is still there.
I just don't know..
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 7:15pm
I hope I get to see that rifle of yours', Hoadie. I have a special interest in PH rifles.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 9:05pm
Bubba usually removed the bridge to make the rifle look fancier like a "Custom Sporter"
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 3:00am
ooohh...you mean like"streamlined & slicker than snot on a door knob".

Well, it don't look very "slick" to me
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic