Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 on camel.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 303 on camel.
    Posted: August 28 2016 at 8:38pm
Just back from a trip that included a week in the Strezlecki Desert in South Australia.

Part of the time I carried a 1902 sporterized BSA MLE.

Well, we came upon a mob of six camels one day. There were five shooters, but it appears I was the only one to fire at a large bull standing facing us at a range of about 250 yards.

I fired one shot at him, then joined in shooting at a couple of others which had been hit but not dropped, and were running away.

When we went down to look, the old bull had dropped where he stood, with the one bullet hole on the front of his chest.

I was using 150 gr Hornady projectiles over 43.5 gr of ADI 2208 (similar to Varget).

I'd say the old girl, and the Hornady projectile worked pretty well!

We also shot some dingoes, cats, pigs and deer on the trip, which took 3 weeks and went from South Australia over to Victoria, up through New South Wales into Queensland then back down into South Australia.
"Ubique Calorem Portandum"
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 8:52am
Sounds like a great trip to me!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 10:19am
Paddy..Dunno if you could used to the taste of camels(he aint talkin cigaretts here.)

Now, the camel spiders...YOU could probably eat those!
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 5:00pm
im picky bout what i eat - spose you can use it in a cajun recipe ? 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 5:20pm
Dunno...don't imagine theres too many camel spiders at the south - or in Canada, for that matter.

I wonder..are coconut crabs edible?
THAT may be a neat dish for Paddy
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 6:03pm
We kept some meat from a young female camel.

It tastes very like beef, and the backstrap was even a bit marbled due to the good feed after the recent rains.

We cooked part of a backstrap on a spit using coals from the fire. It was the tenderest meat I have ever eaten, bar none.

We also cooked venison (melt in your mouth) and pork (chewy but tasty) on the spit.
"Ubique Calorem Portandum"
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Dunno...don't imagine theres too many camel spiders at the south - or in Canada, for that matter.

I wonder..are coconut crabs edible?
THAT may be a neat dish for Paddy

From what I have read, they are a delicacy !! But are endangered since they are so easy to catch !!!  You would think that some one would have learned how to farm them by now !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 9:21am
No Hoadie I do not eat crabs, that would be cannibalism.

I have tried camel.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 8:22pm
so how was the camel ? a delicacy ? 

i like crab , snake , frogs , crayfish , bear , bison ,  ive not had camel , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 4:06am
..chicken chow meow...chicken chow bow-wow?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 8:53am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

..chicken chow meow...chicken chow bow-wow?

Not bad with rice when you are in the ROK part of the world. You eat what they eat and Sojo is great.

The camel was like beef and very tasty.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 9:08am
I've had camel in Morocco. It was pretty good. More like beef than anything else,but in a Tagine (crock-pot) type of cooking the seasonings kind of take over anyway.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 8:29pm
Well I will put it like this , I have not had Camel, but I have eaten Dog ... and if its better than Dog !! Then Im game ....cook me some up !! because Dog was not that bad .... ate it in Istanbul Turkey on deployment years ago !! at least thats what the guy told us when we left ... They were not to happy about what went on between us and the soviet soldiers who were eating there also !!! LOL!!!  Officers just cant take a joke , no matter what country they serve in !!!!!!
Oh and the bread we bought from the locals , baked in an earthen oven fired with Camel dung ..... it was awesome !! could not get enough to satisfy us !!!!
Eckmik Is what it was called ..if Im spelling that correctly !!
The tea was awesome too !!!!  and it was heated over camel dung !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 3:48am
..Rhino - you better get yerself a camel...sounds like your getting a hankerin for dung.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic