Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to enfields (need help)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSharp88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to enfields (need help)
    Posted: September 13 2016 at 1:00pm
he!!o there, I'm new to Enfield rifles and would like to know a few details of the origin of mine. What the correct bayonet would be and what exactly is the copper wire on the stock and what year did that come into effect. Here are a few pics of it.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 4:07pm
it was made in india in 1948 , note that its marked as a no1 mk3* as opposed to the traditional mkIII* - typical indian marking , its called a "wire wrap" , they were reinforced such to withstand repeated use as a grenade launcher , generally they had somewhat worn bores but were still serviceable , 

correct bayonet would be any P1907 or the indian shortened to 12" versions , i no longer have any of my indian collection so i have no ability to shoot a photo and lost my old photos in the photobucket crash , someone else will come along with one , 

nice looking example of the rifle , worth hangin onto for sure , 
MSharp88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSharp88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 4:26pm
Cool, thanks for the info. Wonder what tge odds would be of finder a original grenade launcher. Or if you can even own one.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 3:58am
They also fit tennis balls!

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 12:28pm
The grenade launchers are pretty easy to find.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 1:08pm
Yes try google for "SMLE Cup Discharger"
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 5:36pm
you should have both the launcher and the bayonet , im prejudice to the blade but i agree with the others on the launcher being essential to that set , 
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 5:50pm
So, I realise this is hijacking this thread slightly, but I thought it might be of interest to the original poster. That's my excuse anyway.  What sort of range would a launcher have, would it be significantly more than if you just threw a grenade? How were they launched, was it by using a blank cartridge?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 5:53am
Yes there was a special blank loaded with "ballistite" powder. If you look inside British Pat 37 "Universal pouches" you'll find that one has 2 "cartridge loops" inside the lid. There were designed to hold 2 of the blanks, which were issued with the Mills bomb & the base plate adapter.
Hand thrown you could get about 25 yds (Trivia alert!) the shrapnel could fly further than you could lob a Mills. Because of this the drill was throw & duck!

The cup discharger had a sliding vent to vary distance, fully closed it was about 250 yds.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 7:33am
Rhino has one of those launchers.
He fires tennis balls outta sight with it.
I want to find a way to fire something that will blow-up real good, in it!
Loose wimmen tightened here
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 8:18am
For interest - some more Lee Enfield Grenade Launchers

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 9:35am
& strictly for laughs.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 11:20am
...uuhhh - whats that big pink thing for??
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 2:06pm
Its not the size of the cannon, it's the force of the shot!
"Adult Lawn Darts" mate.
Use cheap hula hoops as targets.
Clown
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 6:43am
GNOME killer!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 7:19am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

GNOME killer!

BWHAHAHaHahaha!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic