Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BSA No4 Mk1 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA No4 Mk1 Questions
    Posted: September 24 2016 at 4:30pm
I have what I have found out to be a 1943 BSA M47 Enfield (No 4 Mk1). From all appearances the rifle is dang near new looking, the metal is parkerized, the furniture is gorgeous. Now the strange thing is the SN is just 3 numbers from what I can see, can't tell if first part was scrubbed, not seeing any ghosting, Unless a new SN was applied during refurbishment, then again my eyes aren't what they used to be. Then there is the bolt SN, I can not for the life of me figure that one out, it starts with a double prefix and ends in a single suffix. I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find the answers to some of the questions!

Rifle information that I have found so far.

1. The barrel is dated 43 with a B, so a BSA barrel?

2. The M 47 1943 looks to have been re-struck, as I can see ghosting of it off-centered of the stamp. Did they re-stamp them during refurbishment?

3. The serial number is very light when compared to the M 47 1943 stamp and only consists of 3 numbers 688, can see no evidence of a prior number. This is inconsistent with BSA SN during the time frame correct?

4. The bolt is SN DA24003A with a Mk 11 stamp on it. Not finding any information regarding this SN set-up

5. The receiver has a very faint Mk4 No1 stamped on it.

6. I am finding the majority of the parts are stamped B (BSA) with one part stamped LB (Long Branch), and a barrel band marked with S126.

7. Front barrel band is marked with a SN? can't tell what the third character is.

8. Found a small crown over what looks like a E on it's back on the top side of the receiver tang.

So looking at this rifle it went through refurbishment at some point, and was refinished? But I am not seeing a FTR stamp anywhere on it.

I have read that the DA prefix was used on rifles that went to New Zealand, and were 22 trainers and were No 8's, this bolt is not one of those from what I can tell, plus the number is too high to be one.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 3:33am
oh my..it even came with the pointy-bit!
Nice find.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 7:26am
Am I nutz, or is that all stamped on the wrong (left) side of the wrist?
I thought it was the right side of the wrist or the left receiver wall flat?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 8:35pm
BSA did mark the left wrist but i am confused [as often i am] by some of the other info given -

"..4. The bolt is SN DA24003A with a Mk 11 stamp on it. Not finding any information regarding this SN set-up.."

im not seeing that here , 

the faint markings are , i believe , the result of a refinish , those that are deeper marked- preserved better , 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 4:15am
Might be worth removing the upper hand guard and see whats stamped on the barrel.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 5:24am
I was thinking Indian refurb scrubbed & re-stamped at one point, but I don't see an Ishy screw?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
USAF Sarge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 10:50am
Clearer picture of the wrist markings, and pictures of the bolt SN. Also wouldn't the wrist SN be lower to allow the two alpha prefixes to be stamped. Most of the BSA rifles I've seen have the two letters on one line and the numbers beneath it. Still learning as this is my first Enfield, I understand Mosin Nagants, and Mausers a bit better!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
USAF Sarge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Might be worth removing the upper hand guard and see whats stamped on the barrel.

What would/should I be looking for on the barrel?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 9:56am
I'm thinking you should find the serial number stamped on the barrel. Also you should find the proof and inspection stamps etc.
The serial number is usually on the left side of the receiver; so I'm wondering if it's been lost during the parkerisation. The number 688 is not the serial number, possibly a rack number? I don't know! but even the serial number on the bolt seems odd when compared to the info I've read for BSA No4 rifles. I hope those members who are more knowledgeable than I can help clarify the details.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic