Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gearing up for deer season...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gearing up for deer season...
    Posted: October 13 2016 at 6:12pm
After quite a hiatus on deer hunting I got a deer license this year. I got a doe tag, which is fine with me since I care more about the meat in the freezer. I am going to use one of my No 4's this year, not sure which one yet. Main reason is the peep sight is easier for me to focus with than the tangent sight of the No 1. Stupid "getting older" garbage.... Confused  I will keep you all posted on how it goes since the season doesn't start for a while yet.
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 7:34pm
Aperture sights (or peep for our US brethern) are might fine instruments and allow those of us with "older eyes" to continue shooting with the beautifuly ballanced and much more easily carried rifle unencumbered with the visually spoiling scope.
I will be 65 soon and have been wearing bifocal glasses for many years which makes ordinary open sights all but unusable with the great peach fuzz that surrounds them but the apperture sight still lets me shoot with enough precission to be comfortable with them to near 200 yds.
Best wishes for the cming hunt that brings home some tasty venison.
Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 7:45pm
Best of luck, Bear! Mow 'em down with that Enfield!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 7:48pm
good luck bear , i got mine a couple weeks ago with the youkon , bet yours is cheaper per pound 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:40am
Von Gruff: I should learn to use the proper nomenclature on the sights. Thanks for the reminder! As for the eyesight... I am rounding the corner on 42 and starting to notice changes.... Can't quite focus those tangent sights like I could at 18 LOL

Canuck and A_square... I will keep you guys updated when the season starts.... Thankfully I have lots of soft points already on hand so don't have to worry about buying any ammo.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 8:18pm
good luck and get all those pesky devils you can , ive had my fill of them this year , 
eagle7840 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle7840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 2:39pm
Make your rounds go true and on target.  Nothing worse than tracking a wounded animal and no meat in the freezer.  
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 8:46pm
To update this thread.... I did not get a deer this past season. My dad and I saw a lot of deer but only one came in close enough for a possible shot. It was about 350 yards out. I lined up but at that range and not having shot a deer in so long.... I was not comfortable with the shot so I let the doe go. Just wasn't sure of myself and didn't want to wound a critter.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 2:55am
good call.

Rhino came up to hunt deer with us in November.
We got 2 (buck & doe) Rhino got one.
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic