Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KKC Stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krist1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KKC Stocks
    Posted: March 01 2017 at 3:40am
Out of curiosity, what do you think the interest would be among you hard core sporterised Lee Enfield fans if we can get the chap who runs KKC stocks to produce a bespoke stock for No.4's?

I had chance to hold a Tikka T3 recently with one of these stocks mounted, and it was a dream. I am not very mechanically minded, so I don't know if there would be an issue making something that was practical and ergonomic with the Lee Enfield's two piece stock.

Thoughts?

http://www.kkc.no

Ready, Aye, Ready
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 9:19am
How about painting some nice new clothes on the Mona Lisa?Wink
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 8:37am
there are a few sporters amoung us and lots of shooters/hunters , but the majority are collectors , the interest level will mst likely fall short of your needs , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 11:57am
If you're gong to make anything make replica wood for the No5's. They're unobtanium.
Evil Smile

But for God's sake don't "Improve on it" just replicate it as accurately as possible.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
krist1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krist1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 7:19am
For some reason I can't see the pics you posted, Shamu.
Ready, Aye, Ready
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 9:30am
Sorry PhotoBucket messed up my a/c & even though I've managed to get back in all the links are now broken.
Dead
Lets see if these work.

Let me know if they are visible to you now, please.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:26am
Nice photo shoot, Shamu! I love these rifles!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 1:23pm
Oh thank Gawd, that means you can see them.
Clap
I was afraid every pic for the last 10 years had vanished!

Yup, its the brothers "Bert & Ernie"

Hug

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 4:32pm
those worked well shamu , hope mine is still up and accessible , love your photos 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 6:45pm
Is No.5 wood hard to find??
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 6:53pm
Some #5 butt stocks surface every once in a while but full sets or even just fore ends with top hand guards almost never. eBay has had a few sets listed over I'd say the last 5 years but to answer your question, yes very hard to find. I have a barreled action #5 waiting for a wood set....waiting and waiting and searching all over the place to no avail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 7:37pm
I know that a No.4 fore stock can be modified to make workable wood for the No.5. Capt Laidler described how the armourers would do it to get rifles out the door.

The No.5 fore stock looks pretty straightforward to duplicate, as do the butt stock and hand guard.

I am out of touch. What would be a rough price tag on the original three pieces if they could be found?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 5:03am
Yes you can make an ersatz #5 out of a #4, but all the bits have to be #4 modded as the barrel band is placed differently.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 5:33am
Has anybody ever found a source for the metal end caps on the No.5 fore stock?

The winter months are too friggin cold for me to work in my garage, so my projects grind to a halt.

So this summer I am planning on running off batches of wood. I am proving some jigs right now, getting them ready and making scrap wood and sawdust. I have a backlog of projects for myself and others. Big plans, I am going to be busy.

Cavalry carbine, RIC, NZ carbine and long Lee will be coming off the duplicator. I am also going to run off some Mk.III fore ends for somebody. The No.5 wood looks to be much simplified for manufacture, clever Enfield!

If I have an original, I can copy it. 

The biggest challenge is finding suitable walnut lumber thick enough to carve. Chatted with a very experienced wood worker, he suggested laminating the wood to produce a blank. Hmmmm, repop Long Branch experimental wood anybody!!

With the late LEs, beech, birch and maple were used as alternative materials, were they not?

I might have found a good supply of cherry wood. Now that would be pretty!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 5:52am
If anyone's looking for real, but beat up (internally) & sanded refinished (externally) wood or fittings I have a set, they're the ones in the pic above with the NO5 on the chair.
I have
A complete stock with frame for but pad, pad, screw & so on (no attaching bolt.) its sanded but otherwise fine.
A forend. internally will need a lot of work, but its possibly doable as a project.
Front barrel band, screw 7 (I think) sling swivel.
A handguard, complete but externally sanded.
Let me know if you want pics of the insides. It'll be going "as is" & fer cheap. Trades maybe even?
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 9:08am
#4 barrel band on the bottom and #5 barrel band on top.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic