Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(BOUGHT IT) a 1914 BSA SMLE ftr'd in 44*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 1:14pm
Hey those are my initials! LOL
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 1:34pm
..Then I'll put it on you, too! Sick around...
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 1:49pm
Yeah the gorilla glue is good stuff, but like you say you have to work fairly spedily with it.
I applied it to the surfaces with a q-tip & then brought them together to fill the seam a bit, then I taped it. I'll put a little dark sawdust in clear filler top match the color a bit.
Its more of an experiment for me in reality as I can get replacement used ones that still have the fingers for $22.00
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 8:22pm
all i know is that BSA was not makin the mkIII* in 1914 so it was converted in 42 FTR , Value is what you place n it but i see lots to recomend the buy , others have offered far more than i could above , if you got it congrats ,

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 4:00am
A SQ: Is that your new avatar? I like it!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 5:35am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

all i know is that BSA was not makin the mkIII* in 1914 so it was converted in 42 FTR , Value is what you place n it but i see lots to recomend the buy , others have offered far more than i could above , if you got it congrats ,

I'd agree with you but it doesn't have the receiver slot for the cutoff!Ouch
Everything else could have been swapped out in the FTR, but I doubt they'd fill the slot & re-machine it?
Definitely something odd about this one!
I did fine on the buying price I think.
(I hope)
Boogered replacement screws are on order, when they arrive I'll detail strip it down & get pics while the wood is de-oiling.
Confused
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 6:58am
2 points.
(1) That cocking piece is certainly not 1914 so that looks like it was changed in the FTR.

(2) 'Boogered' screws are a sign of shoddy workmanship and whilst not a problem in themselves you are right in stripping and rebuilding.

Good luck. It is good to see another one in safe and caring
hands.Thumbs Up
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 7:05am
This is just a story, it could be folk law. Maybe it will sound familiar to somebody???

Now I will have to dig to find the source of this, but I have a fuzzy memory of about how a batch of Mk.III* rifles was rejected because they were not to pattern. The jist of the story was that BSA implemented some of the manufacturing concessions early before the spec was official. The Govt inspectors rejected the batch only to approve it later.

A 1914 dated receiver rifle could be built in 1915.

No slot in a 1914 rifle is unusual, but there probably will be a simple answer.

Friggin memory is fading. Wish I knew to whom I lent my Lee Enfield Story book.

If I recalled all the books, all the records and CDs that I loaned out and not got back, I would have a storage problem.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 8:05am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I'm gonna put "Gorilla Glue" on Paddy's T.P. when I go to visit.
That oughta be interesting..

Hoadie,you are truly a pain in the are, sometime a pain in the opposite side!

You old ball buster you.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

This is just a story, it could be folk law. Maybe it will sound familiar to somebody???

Now I will have to dig to find the source of this, but I have a fuzzy memory of about how a batch of Mk.III* rifles was rejected because they were not to pattern. The jist of the story was that BSA implemented some of the manufacturing concessions early before the spec was official. The Govt inspectors rejected the batch only to approve it later.

A 1914 dated receiver rifle could be built in 1915.

No slot in a 1914 rifle is unusual, but there probably will be a simple answer.

Friggin memory is fading. Wish I knew to whom I lent my Lee Enfield Story book.

If I recalled all the books, all the records and CDs that I loaned out and not got back, I would have a storage problem.

Interesting let me go digging about & see if anything pops up.

Meanwhile I found another incongruity, to the sight this time though.
The "data panel" where the makers info & serial number is usually stamped, on the rear flat face of the arm's vertical shaft & the mount has been scrubbed & sanitized! & there is a stamped, not electro-pencilled South African property mark on both pieces!
I have no way of telling if this is factory, government, or aftermarket work of course but there was a rumor of sales to S/A while they were embargoed. I wonder if this was one of them?
Confused
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 9:29am
englishman_ca

I did find this, courtesy of the guys over at SRF:

englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 9:50am
Yup, that's the fuzzy story that I was trying to recall.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 1:23pm
Odd thing is now it seems my serial # doesn't match the production date?
This is getting stranger the more we dig.
gratuitous pic after the first wipe down.
Sourcing parts.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 7:59pm
"..I'd agree with you but it doesn't have the receiver slot for the cutoff!Ouch
Everything else could have been swapped out in the FTR, but I doubt they'd fill the slot & re-machine it?
Definitely something odd about this one!.." 

that combined with simon's post does make it an interesting story , no matter , i think you got a keeper in that one , i like it , 

wonder if it was made as a commercial ? does it have the broad arrow ? - im too lazy tonight to glean through the thread and photos ......its been a long week and only half over ......im tired 

NO- NOT MY NEW AVITAR , just photo bucket phucking me over again - ive got a lot of revisions to do on a lot of sites as its been my only everywhere = forever , did i mention , im tired 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 5:19am
Its not commercial it has broad arrows & a royal Cypher for King George V.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 1:19pm
So Service rifle competition's in modified class now Shamu? Nice rifle and interesting spec with no cut off etc!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic