Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do I have?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do I have?
    Posted: September 13 2017 at 7:50pm
This bayonet came with the 1948 No.4 MK1 I just purchased.

Thanks in advance!

Brad

1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE
1942 NO4. MK1 four digit BSA

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 4:13am
Looks like the standard spike bayonnet for the No4 rifle.
 There are some minor variations; but basic size shape remains similar. Other's here will be able to tell you more; but it looks exactly like the one's I have.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 9:42am
What are the markings?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

What are the markings?

All I could find were the ones above. The rest of it is unmarked.

Thanks!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 12:21pm
I see a poorly struck War Office Property mark (A "broad Arrow") looks like a birds footprint, & a makers code which I cant quite read.
"A7" perhaps?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I see a poorly struck War Office Property mark (A "broad Arrow") looks like a birds footprint, & a makers code which I cant quite read.
"A7" perhaps?

That's what I was thinking too.

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 1:40pm
Unfortunately I can find no "A7" nor anything remotely like it in anything I have, sorry.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 6:57pm
well - what you have if i am seeing correctly [some question there these days] is a no4 mkII spike bayonet , not sure on mfgr - the war mfgrs were coded N-north , M-middle and S-south , then a number , i have no idea where that A came from but its a legit spike , also correct for any no4 rifle , 

the scabbard is a mkI , very nice set , these are very nice examples to have , 

there were four of these made , the mkI was a cruciform cut spike , the mkIII was similar to yours but the spike was welded on after leaving a shoulder at that point , the mkIV was a multi piece welded spike that is somewhat crude in its finished state , my photos are gone but i have an example of each spike and scabbard [except the illusive first american made item - a whole nuther topic for these ] 

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 2:47am
Back in the early '60's I worked in a shop that sold them as tent pegs for a few pence each.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 10:42am
http://worldbayonets.com/Library/Articles/enfield_bayonets.pdf

Here's a bit of interesting stuff on Lee Enfield bayonets.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 6:42pm
yup --- i mis-spoke , the second version is no4 mkII* and not mkIII , but as i described , the mkIII is what i described as the welded version , i should have olooked at mine - i have them all , it must have been an old-timer moment , that scares me more than you know , thanks for the correction , that is an accurate resource from what i can see , 

there was no mkIV - i was incorrect on that , 

i really need to get mine out more often and refresh my mental recollections i think , ive not bought or done research for a good number of years now ....or maybe i should not speak without refreshing ???????

interesting note tho - there are two no7 , one with red scales  and one with black [no photos since photo bucket dumped me again] but i have both , there are also two no 9 one has the traditional bowie blade one has the typical american spear point of the late M5A1 for the M1garand , and early M16 & M14 types , [the current M0s are back to the bowie type] 
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 6:07am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

[no photos since photo bucket dumped me again]

I use MediaFire now. It's a little harder to use than Photobucket but will host third party pictures.

It's a ton of work but you can transfer the pics that you have on Photobucket and use another host like MediaFire. Then you can edit your existing pic posts, the ones with the broken Photobucket links, just go to edit post and change the picture code to the new one that your new host is using.

I would very much enjoy seeing some of your old iron A square 10!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Pedro Pedro wrote:

http://worldbayonets.com/Library/Articles/enfield_bayonets.pdf

Here's a bit of interesting stuff on Lee Enfield bayonets.

Very nice reading and info!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 4:39pm
i will get something working soon and start posting a photo or so , im totally blocked out of my photobucket account again , i just gotta get past all ive lost again , not so much this time as i fave my files in the computer - have not erased the camera memory cards anymore either , it would be a big job to go back and relink , ill probably just move on 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 4:48pm
That is a huge inconvenience, A Square.I feel for ya....
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 9:02pm
yup - lost all the rifles - bayonets - revolvers - holsters , but i think i can recover a majority from stored files if i can find a decent host , i have been looking at a couple others have sugested , im going to try them out when i can get time , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic