Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VIMY Commerative $2 coin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIMY Commerative $2 coin
    Posted: October 05 2017 at 3:14pm
The Royal Canadian Mint has produced a commemorative $2 circulating coin. Here is a picture of it. I ordered two rolls from the mint but as I said this coin will be circulating in Canada.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 6:52pm
Its curious to me as to why Vimy gets all the recognition. 2 days after Vimy, was a bigger victory for Canada.
On the other hand, from 26 Oct - 10 Nov. 1917 Passendaele took so much effort.
14 Allied divisions(6 British, 4 Canadian, 2 French. 1 Aus.,& 1 Belgian) took part against 6 German divisions.
275,000 allied casualties(+220,000 German).
Canadian strength was 100,000, with 15,654 casualties, & 9 Canadian Victoria Crosses.
(There was also 24,065 German prisoners taken).
Yet, Vimy gets all the credit as being THE Canadian identifying moment.
ALL of the battles in the first twirl at war were brutal..but Passchendaele had to be the worst.
I guess Vimy gets the credit, because iwas taken by Canadians, with Canadian command,and a Canadian plan, after British & French failed.
Still..more should be told besides Vimy. (Just my opinion, fwiw)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 7:15pm
Understood and agreed, Hoadie. Maybe future coins will be struck with those battles you mentioned? Hard to say, really. Good post bud.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 8:01pm
Looks like a Ross rifle on the coin?

I will have to hunt down a four coins for my kids.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 3:21am
Paddy;

I doubt very much U would've seen a Ross anywhere near Vimy. IIRC, they had already "had it" with it's poor performance in the field. When the Canucks were getting off the boats in Blighty - they were were dropping their web gear right there on the docks (Most was burned)& turning in the Ross. New - proper - webbing was issued & new Enfields, as well.(That's where mine came from). But - I do believe that some of the "better shooting" Ross rifles were kept on as sniper use.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 4:14am
It's great that they actually minted a coin in recognition of the Canadian soldiers in WW1.
They probably chose VIMY because Paschendale would require a larger diameter coin!LOL

Hopefully some people wil be interested enough to find out why they've got a coin with soldiers on it; and maybe read a bit of the history. So well done I say to Canada.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 4:25am
Here in the UK the battle of Passchendaele is officially called the 3rd.Ypes. We have a newly minted coin and I will try to attach the certificate that came with mine.

As Secretary of a Rifle Club in Oxford I am organising a 'Passchedale Comemorative Competition' at Bisley on the 5th. November. This Mint edition coin will be one of the Items presented to one of the organisers.
The idea is to raise money for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
The competition is for rifles of the type used in the battle and include SMLE, Long Lee Enfields, Ross, Lebel and G98 Mausers.

Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 4:43am
While we are on the subject.... a couple of the awards. The Mauser is for the runner up, what else?
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 6:11am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I guess Vimy gets the credit, because it was taken by Canadians, with Canadian command,and a Canadian plan, after British & French failed.

I am positive that is the answer to your question, Hoadie. It was essentially the first pure Canadian victory and as such is seen as a major defining moment for the nation. In any event, I like the coins and hopefully it gets more people interested in the history. Too many already just gloss over the war and that is something that has to be prevented.

Stanforth, those trophies are quite nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 7:29am
Did I hear (read?) that Stanforth was going to send us all a Commemorative Ypres coin?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:01am
Yeah, for $5.00 each.Star
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Did I hear (read?) that Stanforth was going to send us all a Commemorative Ypres coin?

No. But if you send your address I will send you a Poppy fund Passchendaele lapel badge.
These are a one off and not freely  available.
Don't all rush, this offer is only for Hodie for his cheek.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:50am
Thumbs Up
Nice one Cyril, nice one son.
Beer
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 10:12am
These are the prototype. The ones on sale haven't got the green leaf. It was probably left out to save production costs.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 2:16pm
How do you figure out which way to display it without the leaf?Wacko
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 12:28am
Stanforth, I would like to purchase one of those Passchendaele lapel badges. Especially if it's for the Poppy appeal.
Don't get much chance to buy a Poppy each year in France! so it would be nice. Please PM me details of where to send funds etc and what you believe to be a correct donation.
Thanks, Zed.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic