Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YUUUUGE changes in POI!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pogson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pogson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YUUUUGE changes in POI!
    Posted: July 14 2018 at 4:03am
Groups that bad from any rifle are hard to explain. I've only once seen anything like that in any of my rifles and that turned out to be a ding in the muzzle. A ridge of steel was grabbing the bullets on one side as they departed and they went downrange sideways... A recrowning operation fixed that. I once saw a friend's rifle shoot terribly. That was due to slightly oversized jacketed bullets. They were stripping in the barrel. Really worn rifling or terrible bullets could do it too. The fact that other rounds shoot radically better suggests the bullets perhaps combined with some defect/looseness of the rifle could be involved. Did you measure the diameter of the bore and the bullets? Recovering a bullet at long range in something soft might help diagnose things. Are the bullet-holes round?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2017 at 2:09pm
I'm thinking of grabbing a spare rear on E-Pay & doing that. That way if I decide to do something daft, like removing the P-H I can revert easily.
I don't know if they're available there but the best mod was the LED strip-lights! They're for "jazzing up a car" & work on 12 DCV! They are self adhesive & you can cut them every 3rd bulb, (Its marked with a scissors even!) The 8X "AA" battery box is the white / clear thingy (a 3.5" floppy carrier) in the background with a 35mm slide box top as an "extra accessory" tray.

Wink

The early powder dispensers I do the double spring thing, but the later "Fail Safe" (although bloody annoying) snaps back fine as its a positive push-pull system.

I also have a couple of super strong magnets on the flip-flop primer catcher chute, but I'm not sure how you'd do that with a 650.
Confused

The POI change is ammo related, I switched back & the patterns returned & were back in the original position too. Luckily with the P-H I can just dial it back in or out as needed. I'm still not used to removing the arm to pull the bolt for cleaning then just fling it back in again afterwards, but it seems to work!
Wacko
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2017 at 11:26am
Shamu; with the match sight on the rear of my No1 rifle I found that the original rear sight was a distraction when shooting at 200 yards.  So I have flipped the rear notch over on the rear sight and ground off the shoulder that was on the underside. That way it's no longer a distraction; and if I need to use the original rear sight, I can just flip it back over.

I also use a Dillon rig (XL650) and see you have similar mod's such as extra elastic bands on the powder doser and the .45 case on the primer level rod.

Regarding the change in POI. You might want to re-check the fit of everything since you had it apart. since it' had a few rounds through it now.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2017 at 7:23am
I have to admit I've simplified massively from my older times of reloading where I constantly messed with things.
Nowadays I work up a specific load for a gun that it likes then I just reproduce it on the Dillon.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 5:35pm
i love your photos - makes me want to retire and spend my life shooting , reloading - not so much , all too many variables and my brain no longer wants to absorb the data , i gotta stick with my single lot radway green these days 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 2:18pm
I took the '17 Beezer ShtLE to the range to try out my first load for her & to zero the PH-5A now its aligned better.
It really does not like the South African R1M3z, I had patterns instead of groups! They were 18~22" & that made it hard finding a group center to zero with. I got a basic zero for the 200 yd point (needed that because of the P-H goes into negative vernier #s if you don't).
Switched to some mild Prvi Partizan 180 gr loads I'm making for this old girl & the groups immediately dropped to 5~6" for 10 rounds.
Sweet!
BUT.
POI went a whopping 9" right & an even bigger 16" high!
Ouch
Nice starting load, I'll mess with it a bit more, this is my first rodeo with Prvi's bullets.
Gratuitous pics:
The new sight alignment.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic