Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I find more info...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 11:23am
I had thought of using Ballistol then perhaps saddle soap..
Duncan.

A DAY WITHOUT WINE IS A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE

I don't drink water, fish fornicate in it!

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?

W.C. Fields.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 11:37am
Duncan; I will send you a PM regarding importation to France; as I've now had 3 personal imports from the UK.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 2:46pm
That should work too.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 6:47pm
just be careful - although preserved it has still aged , you will be very happy with it i think , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 1:25pm
A friend that is expert in these things suggest if it is Cosmolene try a heat gun backed off. A hair dryer isn't enough, but don't roast it. Wiping with a fabric (the J-Cloth again) as the "oil" melts will remove all the surface & its dirt, but will leave enough inside to protect it fully. Once it quits sweating oil, buff with clean cloth for finish.
I've used a variation on this. Take one of those big card shipping tubes a good bit longer than the object. close of about 1/2 of both ends. Now attach the hair dryer on HOT & LOW so that it blows into the tube. You want heat, not volume. Now wrap the object in paper towels & place it in the end furthest from the hair dryer. Let it cook for 10 minutes or so, remove, wipe off excess add new towels & repeat till it doesn't ooze any more. Then buff it. Its basically a low temp hot air oven.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
ducaninfrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 1:57pm
Thanks guys,. will keep you posted with the results...
Duncan.

W.C. Fields.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 4:46pm
that has the round frog stud instead of the almond shaped so it makes it a later version sacabbard , the chape and locket edges are also straight rather than curved , these were approved in late 1915 as a war economy so it is still a WWI compatible example , 
once you get it cleaned it may be date marked as well as mfgr marked , 
ducaninfrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 1:45am
Well, it has arrived with my 'designated shipper' and is in good order.Will have to wait till July to get my hands on it Cry

The scabbard is finished.

The 'Finished' article! 
I kept heating it with the paint stripping electric blower and eventually the grease stopped oozing out and the leather stopped going hard when left.
The first time that I inserted the bayonet it stuck in the scabbard and the only way to release it was to remove the woos and place it in a vice so I could get enough purchase on the scabbard to pull it off!
A considerable amount of Ballistol and vigorous working of the scabbard on and off the bayonet seems to have sorted this problem and I can now withdraw the bayonet from the scabbard with ease.
Coats of Renaissance Wax have been applied to the leather and the metal and so we will see if it does what it says on the tin!
Duncan.

W.C. Fields.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 5:30am
I think there's meant to be a fair amount of tension, not that much though.
My No9 is a bear to pull from the scabbard & just as tough to reinsert. There's some kind of blade grabbing spring inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic