Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.22 Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilgrimVII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22 Enfield
    Posted: November 23 2017 at 7:08pm
Hey everyone
I recently came into a few Enfield rifles and this is the one I'm most confused about. seeing if anyone can help.
it is a .22 marked as but seems to be a early Enfield has a pop up sight on the receiver but not up on the stock. but numbers on the bolt ,barrel and stock match.
I will add pictures below.
actually having problems uploading pictures. will try to put a link in here

https://www.flickr.com/gp/148889936@N06/TYRn01
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 4:17am
It was a .303 Short Magazine Lee Enfield that has been converted to .22 which is a No2MkIV* . As seen stamped on the wrist.
it's a single shot trainer and the magazine well is usually empty (platform and spring removed) to collect the ejected cases. Very handy when at the range; you can just tip the empties straight in the bin.
They are great rifles; generally quite accurate and fun to shoot.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 6:43am
What you called the "pop up sight" is the rear volley sight aperture. It was on early Mk III rifles and was phased out later on.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 8:24am
Interesting history.

At some point, your rifle was inspected and the barrel bore was found to be worn. Not worn out, but below the standard of a first line weapon. Used rifles in service were supposed to have at least 60-80% (??) of barrel life left in them to pass inspection. Your barrel was found to be below par but still a useable rifle, so it was downgraded to 'For Emergency use', denoted by the EY on the barrel nocks form.

Later on, the EY was cancelled and it was downgraded again, but this time to Drill Purpose. This meant that it was used for training and was not part of the live fire rifle inspection and maintenance program. DP was usually the last tour of duty for a service rifle. However, this Drill Purpose rifle was then converted by Parker Hale who cancelled the DP marking and fitted the .22 liner to the barrel and reworked the bolt.

These are great fun to shoot. You look to have a nice one.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 8:52am
I was wondering if the PH meant it was converted by Parker Hale. All those marks certainly make for an interesting piece.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 9:11am
This is a fairly standard progression for the older more worn guns.
Quite a lot were downgraded then revamped in various ways into .22 trainers.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 11:42am
I think it's got more stamps than our local Post OfficeLOL

There's a lot of history in that rifle. Well worth looking after.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 4:08pm
englishman gave you the senario i was going to throw out as well , good solid platform converted by one of the best , nice trainer , you cannot go wrong having at least one , they generally shoot quite well , 
pilgrimVII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilgrimVII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 5:14pm
thanks for the help guys!
I did track some of that info down. but not all.
the bore looks super clean. so I'll have to take it out shooting one of these days.
I was disappointed not getting to shoot 303.
but I also got a Ishapore so maybe the price with 22 and 308 will even itself out.

are these worth anything?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 6:21am

The .22 always sold at a premium, the rim fire cartridge being a popular and very practical caliber.

Trainers are not as common as the 303 and there is a strong demand amongst collectors and shooters alike. They generally command higher prices than their 303 parents.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 9:14am
I've seen the .22 trainers round here priced for $1,000~1200 on the rare occasion you find one.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 4:58pm
dittos , they go for the premium values , they are fun and so interesting in that the early ones were conversions of service rifles , save for the later no4 type versions that were made as what they are , i have a hole in my collection for one of the long versions [not shortened for the SMLE trainer] one day i will get lucky and come upon it , 

i have a converted MLM mkII that was shortened to the Cond II in 1912 , a no1 mkIII converted no2 mkIV [no star - it has its volleys] converted in the 21-26 period , a 1945 longbranch purpose made Cno7 mkI , and a 1944 Cooey Mod 82 Trainer that was a war version of one of their popular civilian models , still looking for the right mosberg lend lease trainer , 
i also have a webley mkVI with 22cal conversion and a webley mkIV purpose made 22cal , 

also have a couple real US trainers , winchester windermusket , Springfield Mod 1922 and highstandard HD military , 
i have a few faux trainers as well savage NRA 19 [m1903] Stevens 87M [m1garand] colt M16 with conversion bolt and a ruger carbine rebuilt to simulate the m1carbine and a number of years ago i went in on a group buy for a conversion unit for my belgian FN FAL , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilgrimVII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 6:32pm
what do you mean by shortened? the rifle itself?
if so this rifle is definitely full length. weighs a ton. maybe 6 inches or more longer than the Ishapore I have.
I do see the magazine is empty with 22 stamped on the bottom.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 5:09am
Before the SMLE there was an earlier version which was longer, called the Long Lee.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 5:39am
I also note that the rifle has been marked on the top of the receiver ring with M.192/1948. This is a British Ministry of Supply wartime contractor code, M192 being the PH Arms Co.. 
The rifle would have had a complete and thorough overhaul (in effect a Factory Thorough Rebuild) in 1948, to be as good as new.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilgrimVII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 6:15am
what's the difference in a shtle like I have and a SMLE?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic