Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

its pearl harbor day - please remember

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: its pearl harbor day - please remember
    Posted: December 07 2017 at 7:00pm
have not forgotten , been reminding and informing all day , did you know ..there are 20 somethings that have never heard nor know nothing of this world changing event ? i did not , i expected everyone to know , i grew up that way , but alas we are now our fathers and the liberal education system has changed or at least re-written history , 

that same 20 something [whom im very fond of] knew we dropped the first A-bomb and where we dropped it but not why , or when and i spent a week enlightening him in august , had never heard we we were poised to invade japan , or what the losses were projected at ,they do not understand - thought we were always friends , does not know still of the POW issues and the bataan march - also the interments - that came up today , it made sense once i explained the losses at pearl , i have so much to share and the attention span is short with these kids , 

im also enlightening of the POW issues "here" , how different they were , how the germans we brought here wanted to stay in a few states [like idaho] and came back when they could, 

im about to launch an education of the island hopping of the pacific , but i needed to allow the "first attack" to sink in , also the fact we were trying to stay neutral at the time in spite of having a bias , 
with the recent olympic discussions i may even get to explain what the german games did - particularly here , we shall see - that attention span thing is an issue

AS long as im expounding on this - 76 years ago , and firmly planted in my brain within a decade after , my family remembers , we are here because of the way events went , i will never apologize , my father never did , facts are facts and history is history even if liberals try to rewrite it , 

may i add there is a lack of understanding of our generation as well , VN is the next discussion i think i will have , only two in the office remember it today - im the oldest and i am surprised how much misconception there is , the current media is believed [the past media was far more accurate ] neither were honest with the americans that fought there - too much hollywood - too little truth ,
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 7:16pm
Its like that all the time A Sq. Hollywood would never let the truth interfere with a good story! Look what that attitude did to the perception of the (un)-civil war. The facts & reasons were never discussed or brought to the fore. It was just "slavery".

The sacrifices made at Pearl, were the only way the U.S. could get into the fray. It was also evident that without U.S. involvement - the struggle in Europe would have ended in a much different way.(Even then, it was still a nearly run thing!)
A "holding action" in the Pacific by the navy/Marines until Europe was settled, was also a huge gamble. That too, didn't come cheap.

I was told recently that the U.S. military is still using purple hearts that were ordered for the invasion of the Japaneese home islands. (That was a lot of medals)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:34pm
Last weekend I was watching a good DVD of the history of WWI with my 6 year old daughter.
She comes to the Rememberance day parade at our village as well; as do most of the village children.
History is an important part of education. If for no other reason than to help avoid the same mistakes!
Although I have a feeling that the general lack of basic education we see today means that we are doomed to fail!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 3:20am
Seems to me that the act of rememberance is better observed in Europe than here in North America.
While it is observed here, its certainly not to the degree that Europeans do.
That's probably because we weren't occupied. The wars didn't "roll right over us" and leave the indelible marks of starvation and depredation.
The Dutch certainly make a big to-do of it, with regards to Canada. I salute the Europeans for educating the young so well, on the sacrifices & horror experienced during those times.
They volunteer to look after the graves of the fallen liberators, all thru their lives.
Well done.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 7:44am
Wasn't it just the Sandy Wars (Algeria, Morocco, & so on) remembrance day in France?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 11:06am
No Shamu, they don't talk much about Algeria 8 
8th of May is a National holiday for VE day and the 11th of November is a holiday for end of WWI.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 6:54pm
hoadie - no argument here -"Its like that all the time A Sq. Hollywood would never let the truth interfere with a good story! Look what that attitude did to the perception of the (un)-civil war. The facts & reasons were never discussed or brought to the fore. It was just "slavery".

they do not want the rest told - it would upset the current trends , 

as to the "pacific holding pattern" i have known and know a lot of american marines that would take issue with that - we were taking islands and building airstrips at great cost to allow that 44-45 air war that brought japan down , there would not have been a quick end with ground forces as the primary front on japan , 

yes , in europe the ground attack was the solution with the air backup , but in the pacific it was only our aggressive ground attack and build of support facilities that allowed the air to win the war , i have my doubts of the invasion going well had it gone forward , he!! even the occupation did not go well at first , 

as to our civil-uncivil war , it is yet to be disputed how it is remembered i guess , i thought as a child it was indelible but as an elder im finding there are uncivil folks among us that would have us condemn my southern root and the south on totally unfounded and false premises , we were all americans - that cannot be forgotten without a repeat action one day down the road , 

it is as if i said something stupid like slaves were only indentured servants , paying their passage to a new life - we all know that is false , we all know there was more to our civil war than just the slaves , kinda like there was more to our revolution than tea ......just sayin - learn history and live right 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 8:07pm
as to not talking much .......i get that , my father seldom spoke of his service - except as it related to my mothers support , the places they lived-he trained and their marriage at chanute field in illinois , who was there , how it was orchestrated , those were difficult times in 1943 , we were not in control of the war then , 

so much is forgotten when those that lived the time are gone , there was a great deal of uncertainty that prevailed then , they did not "know" we would win this war , even if we won the western front . VE day was a great victory , it was not the end , only VJ day put the final nail in that coffin , 
funny we had just finished the"war to end all wars" - we are currently on how many after ?  
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 5:24am
Don't think there has been a moment's peace since the turn of the century. Theres always somebody at war with someone else.
Never seems to be a shortage of folks wanting to give the world a hot-foot.

This issue in the middle east is going to boil over, for sure. China & India eyeball to eyeball, the Koreas are ripe..I dunno - looks like a Donny brooke bout to erupt
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 6:13am
Perhaps it was a local thing? I know the French are still a bit touchy about the whole Algerian thing,  but remember a remembrance of the military who died in the several North African wars of the 60's sometime just before Christmas?

Here, this is what I was thinking of:
"JOURNÉE NATIONALE D'HOMMAGE AUX MORTS POUR LA FRANCE PENDANT LA GUERRE D’ALGÉRIE ET LES COMBATS DU MAROC ET DE LA TUNISIE

C'est à 19h ce mardi 5 décembre que la commémoration s'est déroulée à Vervins place des Anciens Combattants en présence du sous préfet, des élus, des représentants de la gendarmerie et des associations patriotiques. Après la lecture du message officiel et le dépôt des gerbes, le cortège s'est rendu à la Mairie où le Maire a remercié l'ensemble des participants et particulièrement les portes drapeaux et les sapeurs pompiers."

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 2:11pm
Wow! Those French have a different word for everything!..
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 3:06pm
Oui!
Party

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 3:12pm
' NATIONAL DAY Of HOMAGE TO DEATHS FOR FRANCE DURING THE WAR Of ALGERIA AND BATTLES OF MOROCCO AND TUNISIA

At 19 h on Tuesday, December 5th when the commemoration took place in Vervins "Place of the War Veterans" (War memorial), in the presence of (the) under prefect, of elected representatives, of representatives of the police station and the patriotic associations. After the reading of the official proclamation and the presentation of bouquets (wreaths), the procession went to the Town hall where the Mayor thanked all the participants and particularly the flag bearers and the firefighters. '

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 2:33pm
A Square 10, hard to believe here in the PRK, but;  There is a large Mountain near the SF bay area
( Mt. Diablo) visible from a good portion of the state. They placed a light on top in the early days of aviation to prevent aircraft from running into it. It was originally lit by Lindbergh. They discontinued the light immediately after Pearl Harbor, as part of the blackout of the West Coast. It is now lit one night a year, Dec. 7th, with a ceremony to honor the deceased and survivors of the attack.

Ed

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 7:20pm
ed , im pleased to hear this , its nice to hear some places actualy do something to remember , we had a full cerimonial burrial close to here last summer , it was one of those lost in the attack recently identified and returned to his family , 
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 8:18pm
I shall never forget.

My Father came in to Pearl Harbour on the 15 of December of 1941 while come back from the Philippines at the end of his six year enlistment.

I saw it with him when I was about six when my Father was stationed in HI.

I can still remember the tears in his eyes when he told us what he saw that day.

He would never forget or forgive.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic