Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 4 Mk2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:17am
Just so I understand about the knurled end. What diameter is the knurled head? Also the flats you are talking about. Does the end result look like you have a flat tire on top and bottom? (Sorry for the weak description!)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:54am
Its going to depend on how your supplier makes them.
Mine (I don't remember from who)  was about 3/4" diameter & 1/4" thick. I made the flats at 3/8" from center so they were more like a bar with knurled ends.
like this from here. (pardon my rubbish Photoshop quick 'n dirty rendering)!

https://www.berger-tools.co.uk/Hand_Knobs_Star_Knobs_Wing__Knurled_Thumb_Screws__Nuts/Din653_Flat_Knurled_Thumb_Screw_Steel_Blackened/
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 8:00am
Thanks Shamu. Looks just like my mind envisioned you description!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 2:54pm
Shamu. Couldn't source anything in town with the knurled knobs! Went with the head studs (6mm x 1/2"). Tightened down with the metric Allen wrenches and Red locktite. Braved the cold (-30 with the wind) wrapped off a box of 174g FMJ. Not a wobble! Solid like a rock! (Not shooting at targets, steel plates @ 100yds, so group is unknown, only the ringing off the ice cold steel!)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:24pm
Another way is to use a Dremel to cut a slot in the head of a hex bolt & weld/silver solder/braize a slim, flat rod to give the "wings" you use for torque.
Red LocTite works, but is kinda permanent. That removes a nice feature of the Cad Technic, the ability to whip the scope off it if becomes unusable. (fog, snow, mud, raindrops, condensation & so on)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:29pm
That is sage advise. It will be my next project, come warmer weather. We have a old deisel injector mechanic in town that can silversolder anything to anything! Thanks! Never thought of that!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:46pm
The bolts with the big, flat knurled heads probably won't be found in a local hardware store.
On the intwerweb however, just about everything is available.
Wink
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 6:42am
I haven't completely stripped my No4 Mk2 down yet. The screw that I assume holds the trigger assembly in place (the one that is a noticeable addition to No4 Mk1's) how does this come out? I'm assuming it has to before removing the hardware from the furniture. On reassembly, is it hard to line up? Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 8:55am
Its a through bolt with a slotted nut on the other side. You need a slotted screwdriver to stop the nut turning then just unscrew normally.
The "hanger (bracket) for the trigger is cut in a large "U" shape so its not really tight fitting, more of a slight crush fit of the wood to the sides of the bracket. The screw doesn't hold the bracket, that's brazed to the frame (receiver)

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 9:08am
In case anyone here needs that cross bolt/nut, Scott Stonehill manufactures them and does a very good job at it. I ordered a few last year from him.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 9:13am
Scott does nice work, he made me the mount bolts for My PH-5A!Thumbs Up
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 9:24am
Stupid question then. Watch is that screw there for?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:02pm
The screw replaces the metal strap arrangement on the No4Mk1 rifles. Basically it just holds the two sides together to stop them spreading out under recoil conditions.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:51pm
Thanks for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic