Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member keen to own

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 8:08pm
ive often thought exactly that , i will go not into my political thoughts here , but suffice it to say we fight that fight here every day - come get mine , 
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 11:04am
Well I have taken my first step to getting an LE down the line. I went down to the local shooting club to sign the paper work to apply for a probationary license, so all being well once the probationary is complete I may be able to shoot more interesting stuff. They seem to have all manner of hand guns,(I didn't get long to chat) from small pistols to .44 revolvers. They even say they have some black powder guns. I can only assume again that these are pistols of some thought. I think I have a lot to learn about guns in general.
I assume I am right though, that the LE will need to be shot at a club that caters for this calibre of rifle and the fact that they have larger calibre pistols would not suffice?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 6:26pm
good on you , hold them deer , it is what seperates us from the criminals - they dont bother to follow the rules , but god forbid we crack down on them when the law abiding citizens that follow the law are so easy to prey on , please know my best wishes are with you and i hope all goes well , good citizens deserve to own their guns , it is what prevents tyrany after all , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 11:57am
Yes, Pistol & rifle have such a wide difference in range & power that the two are completely unrelated.
Congratulations on "joining the club" & not letting the difficulties put you off. Should you need to you could join more than one, many do as each is a little slanted to its particular segment.

You'll find its like a kind of secret club, once you're "in" you'll suddenly discover you already know people in there, they just don't talk about it to outsiders, mainly because of the negative press.
Build your network establish you circle its a very important part of being in the culture.
Stick to your guns (bad pun, sorry) don't get discouraged & you'll do fine it just takes time & patience, despite what some nay Sayers may announce loudly.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:00pm
Like the Freemasons! (Sorry, I've said to much already!)
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 2:19pm
Funny handshakes all round. A bit more of an eclectic mix of people than our sailing club and I thought they were odd!!!!Wink
The black powder, still sounds interesting.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 3:22pm
SC-Em;
I have a mate in Blighty that holds near about every firearm licence that can be had in Blighty. (Right now they are wrestling with him on .50 cal). He also instructs shooting for the cadet system.
If you want, I can have him contact you.
he's near Stonehenge..dunno if that helps
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 11:21am
& I have a contact in the Preston area as well.
If you like I'll contact him & see if you can set up phone connections or something.
Preston is a bit far to go for a club, but Closer than Wiltshire, hey its a connection with "boots on the ground" & information more current than 40 years out of date.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 11:54am
Thanks for the offer Hoadie. Wiltshire is a bit of a trek from here, but may be in the future.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 1:06pm
nice word eclectic - we do semble that a bit more than we often acknowledge in passing , but fun free spirited bunch we are , 

i was president of our local trout fishing club once a lifetime ago but never been a member of a sailing club , sounds fun , turned to SASS cowboy action a number of years back and found it to be entertaining , besides my heros have always been cowboys ....
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 2:37am
sc-em   I am the Secretary and RCO for the Spires Rifle & Pistol Club. We are based north of Oxford and shoot gallery rifle and front loading pistol mat Witney and full bore and black powder rifles at Bisley.

If I can be of any assistance contact me on shed1@btconnect.com
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 11:56am
Thanks Stan. That is very kind of you. I will await a reply to my probationary papers at this local club and see where that takes me. I don't do patience very well so we'll see how long it takes.

SSA cowboys? Sounds intriguing. Most kids in the UK have only ever heard of Woody, whereas those brought up a few years back will have been exposed to the westerns of Wayne etc. Great!
I was bought a book on gun fighters when I was young and found it fascinating. And of course really wanted a Smith and Wesson!! As you do!!Big smile

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 10:45pm
there ya go - contacts already with like minded folks , 

ive found that here in three gun [semi-auto contemporary weapons that some call assault weapons - but we call self protection as we dont assault anyone] but as i aged i found i could not keep up with the youth , 

so ive turned to SASS [single action shooting society] cowboy action shooting or old mans 3-gun depending on your point of view , some - no most of these folks are faster than me tho , but its the "spirit of the game" we seek , perhaps our heritage - definitely our past , and not the gangster type present you see on TV , 
no automatic weapons - those are illegal without the proper paperwork , and no stupidity - safety is paramount to an extreme degree [there has never been a single 'incident' in my knowledge - ever , 

one day i might like to try a rendezvous with my flintlock kentucky rifle , just have not gotten into black that far yet , 

i enjoy the steel plate ive shot and silhouettes with the 22s , but it generally conflicts with my sporting clays , and of coarse trap leagues , 

if you are into shotgun i know a fellow on the isle of mann that you might enjoy meeting one day , big into the international police & fire games , just sayin ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic