Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Storied Lee Enfield rifle heads into retirement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Storied Lee Enfield rifle heads into retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storied Lee Enfield rifle heads into retirement
    Posted: January 07 2018 at 12:04pm
I received this article from Hoadie. This is a photocopy of an original article. I had trouble finding a way of sharing this with you all and I hope the post isn't too fuzzy to read? Thanks Hoadie!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:19pm
hmmmmmmmmm , im headed to retirement too , but im not complainin just yet , got a couple more years left i think [looking at three right now] 
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 5:03am
Being a newbie to the Enfield, I've seen some of the historical background but this story regarding current service is interesting.  Is there any active service use of the Enfields remaining after this?
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 8:46pm
maybe northern canada , and of coarse pakistan , india , afghanistan , iraq etc ....not really regular service i think , moldavia ????
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 3:18am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

maybe northern canada , and of coarse pakistan , india , afghanistan , iraq etc ....not really regular service i think , moldavia ????
I would consider "In service" if issued by the responsible government agency.  Sounds like one or two of those might be somewhat official.
Thanks!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 5:15am
As the article states, it will take a while before all the Enfields are replaced. Meanwhile - back at the ranch - the Rangers will soldier on with the Enfields. (& they'll probably get to keep 'em, as well!)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 5:54am
I believe I read that at the request of the Rangers, they will be able to keep their old war horses. I also read that our government will be allowing the public to purchase surplus. It did not say how or when.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 6:14am
Finger's crossed Honky!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:37am
lIKE THATS GONNA HAPPEN! They wouldn't allow the side arms to be sold off as surplus.(they destroyed them). You actually think we - the people - will be able to get our hands on a surplus Enfield from this gov't??! Yeah, right..& the leopard will change it's spots.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 8:31am
Supposedly they're going to sell them to the rangers (at a discount, of course)!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 9:14am
really - after the fact that they are required to supply most of their equipment on their own - you would think they would give them to 'em. They have to use their own snow sleds, severe cold weather clothing & most of their own tools.
What a cheap gov't
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:19pm
i ended up with two canadian made inglis - a no1 mkI* with original shoulder stock/holster and no2 mkI* 45-44 dates , so some escaped , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:49pm
Theres more Enfields in Crown assets dept than what the Rangers have in their possession. I only want ONE!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:58pm
here ya there .........they should be in civilian hands once retired , 
catscratcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catscratcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 11:54pm
if if, and its extremely doubtful, IF they were sold to the public, they would be price at a level that would make a mint condition enfield 22 trainer with BSA barrel, un used since rebuild, with detachable magazine, less expensive then a brick of cheap federal automatch.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 5:15pm
i have no idea what a price point on such an item might be - i will add quickly that all of my 22 cal trainers have excellent barrels and shoot far better thayt i ever will again - heck they are worthy of bench rest rifles in some cases , they would be rifles worth buying at whatever the cast as long as you can afford them , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic