Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jungle Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 1:00pm
I believe I had that DUH moment the second I hit the send button on my previous question!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 1:06pm
BWHAHAHaHahaha!
They happen to all of us once in a while.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 1:44pm
That's called a brain phart lol
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 1:45pm
My back up rifle is one of my full military iron sighted #5. Trust my life with that rifle!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 2:39pm
As will mine now be. #5, iron sites,180 gr bullets. Doesn't get any better than that!
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 10:49pm
Having three No.5s, all of which I have shot, I feel qualified to pass an opinion on these rifles.

I believe there should be a place for one in every serious Enfield collection. And that is where it should stay!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 8:28am
When I turned 30 (so many years ago!) I was working in the Petro chem industry, where I retired from 2 years ago. I had been working OT for 6 months straight, getting really burnt out. My wife said let's go to the Keg, but I was really beat. So insisted. We went, and after we sat down, presented me with a Rolex Submariner. For months I wouldn't wear it to work. She insisted. Today 28 yrs later, it's a little scratched, s little beat up, but still keeps perfect time. And the stories I'm reminded of when I look at that watch on my wrist!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 6:52pm
great story , really fantastic wife , i for one am happy you went to the keg - im saving that for the right moment by the way [BTW] for the right time and right event in life that might approach that one , so let her know she gave me inspiration - she is my hero on this , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 7:01pm
She's been my for 37 years. Thanks, A Square.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 10:05am
Question. My new (to me) #5 rifle had a metal piece at the end of the for end stock. I've seen other#5's that don't. I think I've seen an explanation on this forum, but couldn't find it. Thanking in advance...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 11:41am
metal piece??

Wotsu talkin bout, Willus?
Loose wimmen tightened here
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 12:05pm
Fore arm end cap?

Some had them, some didn't.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 12:47pm
Englishman, what you said! My description lacked description. Just thought it odd some had them and some didn't! Thanks!
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 5:11pm
If I understand correctly, initial production of the No.5 was fitted with the metal fore end cap.  

Use in humid climates and moisture being trapped under the sheet metal caused problems with the bedding. So the cap was removed from production and the wood shape at the tip adjusted. 
Methinks possibly due also to the frugal Brits trying to find cost savings and as a manufacturing concession to help speed war time production. 
I have seen post war rifles with the end cap, so it appears that they were reintroduced

Just talking out of my ear here. The dates of where, when, and which manufacturers that fitted the cap, I find confusing myself. I'me not much help.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 5:38pm
I know more now than before I asked! Thanks!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 9:45pm
well - i not gonna be contrary on purpose here but ...my early BSA had no metal cap on the foreend and yes it was in original nick , my late 47 FAZ has it , its also original nick , i think these were related to the stock providers , but i have nothing to base that on , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic