Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moose load

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moose load
    Posted: February 01 2018 at 8:05am
I got invited to put in for moose this year with buddy. Him and his pop and uncle have got drawn every two years. Anyway, I mentioned a while back I had a box of CIL 215 gr (KKSP's) that I wouldn't mind developing a load on. I believe I read, and correct me if I'm wrong, these don't feed very good? If that is the case, I will go with the Sierra ProHunter 180's that shoot well out of the rifle I'll be using.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 8:13am
You might want to have a secondary magazine adjusted so it can feed those 215 grain rounds because the feed lips most likely will need to be opened up a smidgeon. Mark a piece of masking tape and attach it to the bottom of the magazine so that in the field you can make that distinction between bullet weights.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 9:11am
Will do. Excellent tip!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 10:40am
If you need a good used serviceable #4 magazine just PM me. Are you using a scope on that hunting #4?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 1:16pm
Straight 4x Weaver. I do have a spare #4 mag kicking around! Very kind offer! Just found out the average shot in this area is 75yds. Because of terrain, (hills, Meadows) max is about 250yds. Swaying towards the 180's. 250 yds is kinda out of my wheelhouse for a shot where I feel comfortable with a clean kill. More like 150-175yds I'm pretty comfortable with.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 1:55pm
I use a 4 x 32 old Tasco on my #4 Enfield hunting rifle that hasn't let me down at all.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 2:56pm
215 gr for hunting...geeze - R U gonna take out some APCs as well?
That's a heavy bullet..gonna drop a whole passel
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 3:10pm
After talking with buddy and finding out the average shot, will stick with the 180's. He did say after the morning sit for elk and breakfast, they like to mooch around in the frozen swampy and willowy areas for moose. 25-50 yd opportunity at best. I'm thinking the 215's in my new (to me) #5 with open sites might be an Enfield Express Train for old Bullwinkle! Shouldn't drop to much in 50yds.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 5:48pm
As I suspect with alot of people on this forum, I feel I was born too late, wishing for an earlier era. Times may not have been easier, but they were simpler. Im also guessing that's why all of you love Enfields.That being said, CIL made those 215gr .303 bullets in Canada after WW2 for hunting. I did a little research, and while Canada never has had an APC season, they have had plenty of the biggest BIG game seasons for the largest game in North America, moose and bear. I suspect CIL made those 215's for those formidable animals. Yes, absolutely better rounds out there, but wouldn't it pay a little homage to the boys that came home after that was looking to put food on the table to hunt big game with what they did? Just my .02 worth...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 7:56pm
If you reload you can buy 215grn Woodleigh bullets. I've worked a great load up for it and it cycles and feeds just fine.
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 8:03pm
Moose here are a bit smaller but I always used the 180 grain KKSP when I hunted with my first .303.  Sighted for 200 , it was maximum point blank range out to about 260 yards,  MV was advertised at 2540 and it still had 1000f# at 300 yards.  I had a 4X Bushnell scope on a one piece Weaver Mount.  I moved on to a 30-06.  I only picked up maybe 20-25 yards in MPBR but 2700 fps MV and a whopping 500f# in retained energy at 300.  Same KKSP 180 grain.  All these numbers come from CIL range and ballistics tables.  Last moose I shot was a young bull at 350 paces and it just collapsed in a heap after a couple of steps.  I tried the CPE (Copper Point Expanding) and ST (Saber Tip) in the same weight but while they had better ballistics they didn't have the same terminal performance the KKSP did, or at least not for me.   Thanks for bringing back some great memories.  Good hunting.

I just read Gossic's post.  The CIL tables show a MV of 2180 for the 215 KKSP.  Almost identical to his Woodleigh load.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 8:14pm
Thanks Goosic! I do reload. Those are some pretty bullets that look like they would leave a mark. Macd, I've heard similar stories from older gentlemen that swear by big, round nosed bullets for big round nose swamp donkey! They all said they hit harder than a spitzer. I personally have never shot round nose, but I'm gonna try! Thanks guys!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 9:22pm
You don't really need 215 gr, but if hunting with a "modern" rifle, (cartridge gun) I use them in my old Ishapore because it shoots like a so-and-so with them.

It only has the original open sights, and even though I'm the wrong side of 60, it still performs.
As sights are, on 100 yard setting, she shoots near 3" high.   and this is good enough for elk and moose out to 175 yards.  If further out,  I'd put sight on "200"  and it then shoots a tad over 3" high at that range.
Shot 2 bull elk in last 3 years.  One a 6X6 and the other a 5 x 6 here on the farm, and oddly enough both right around 170 yards.  Both only took the one shot.

As the gun likes these bullets, I have used it on deer as well, and being a big slower bullet, it causes little damage to the meat.  They might walk a few yards after being hit, the bullet not 'exploding' like 150 gr slugs do, but they always fall over.
Shot  a good lot of coyotes with this same gun and ammo as well. 

Hoadie,
If bullet sounds heavy, my "normal" hunting projectiles  have been between  a .58" to a .75" ball, or the 480 gr bullet from the Martini -Henry, or same  weight from the Snider -Enfield....just to put it into perspective.
Moose are  easier to put down than an elk.   a .30-30 will shoot  a hole through a moose most times broadside, not so an elk.

Goosic,
I see you have seated them a bit deeper than I do, but that will get over the No 4's feed problems nicely.  Good show!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 5:01am
I've always used 150 gr on deer, & 180 gr on moose. We have elk on the property, but haven't hunted them (yet).
I've dropped moose pretty handily with the 180. I've observed the elk around the cabin, as they move about. I note the cow & calves seem to be somewhat smaller than moose, & again - I figger a 180 should do the trick. But, I've noticed the bulls & I'm not sure on it. I note the larger size..but its the agressivness & power the bulls have. I watched one come across the driveway. He had the cow & calf ahead of him. He followed-up behind & kicked the crap out of every tree & bush along his path. One of them got hold of our older steel tree stands, & continuously hit it until he got it off the tree. Then he continued to bash it until he broke 3 of the welds on the ladder & bent a leg. (Had to take it into Bancroft to have it re-welded!) Ithink Rhino seen that.
Anyway, I'm thinking a 180 should handle it..but better have a 2nd round ready - just in case.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 5:27am
I have harvested a big moose cow before but not a bull. Heard them called a barn door with attitude!!!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 6:41am
Hoadie,

With elk, if you don't get their attention with the first shot, any following shots don't seem to fizz on them.
An elk never acts hit  like a moose does.  No flinch or jump or anything usually.
Only one that reacted straight away was when I shot one with the Martini with the 480 gr pill. went up in the air and came down in a heap, only twitched about twice.  Was a front -on shot, and broke neck at base.

I80 grain is plenty for elk, as long as you hit them right ,which goes for Any bullet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic