Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for US members

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 10:47am
No offense taken by me. Both rifles have been battle proven.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 2:22pm
Yep, same here.
I've used both & prefer the M-14 incarnation of the M-1, but in a pinch I'd be fine with either.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 8:00pm
me too , and welcome , glad you jumped in with both feet , 

the day DS ermmy was here i got the feeling he was enjoying the marines among us that were flocking around him in awe but i did enjoy our conversation and found him an interesting guy , i think he was a pretty astute actor that day as well , i heard no-one say anything negative , 

i learned on the enfield first so the cockonclosing did not bug me , i did notice the difference when i shot my springfields but neither compare to the semi-auto M1 garand or carbine really , i think my FAL is a better comparison to those really , i get the time period comparison , i find the later M14 rifle superior tho , JMHO , even to the M16s - which i like for the weight differences , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 3:34am
I was told that the U.S. is trying to destroy the M-14s.
I don`t know why that would be. But, you don`t seem to see very many around.
I was never a fan of the Garand, myself. (I sold mine back to the U.S. Army - believe it or not) They took delivery from me at Conneticut St armoury, in Buffalo N.Y. (One too many `M-1 thumbs``)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 5:17am
I had heard you could lose s thumb nail trying to remove rounds? I've never owned or shot one. M14 always looked like a fine rifle. In Canada, at least around here, guys tend to have FN's over M14's as that's what they trained and carried when they were in the service. They also seem nice, and the guys swear by their accuracy.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 6:03am
I think the M-1 is closer to the FN-49, the M14 is their attempt at a FAL.
Yes "M1Thumb" is nasty. That was one thing they sorted with the M-14's magazine feed.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
buckeye55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 6:10am
"I was told that the U.S. is trying to destroy the M-14s."

The M-14 can not be sold to the public as it is full-auto capable.The civilian version is the M-1A as sold by the Springfield Armory company. The M-1A is fairly popular, although expensive. 

The military has retained some M-14's for use as ceremonial rifles. They have been, for the most part, maintained in stock condition. They are also being rebuilt as a marksman's weapon to be used in areas where the AR/M-4 platforms just don't have the range. I've also heard of them being used aboard ships as part of the fleet-borne Marines equipment. Seems like the Marines just don't want to let go of the M-14.

I've shot both the M-1A and the M-1 Garand. I prefer the Garand simply because it doesn't have a big metal box sticking out of it.

As for the "M-1 Thumb" ailment. If you're not nice to her she will bite you. Generally, once is enough. After that you learn. My experience was with my forefinger, not my thumb. I thought the bolt was locked open but it was only resting on the bullet carrier. I was using a rag to apply some oil. When I pressed down on the carrier the bolt snapped forward and suddenly, I had 10 pounds of rifle hanging off my finger. Smashed my finger, had to drill a hole thru the nail to relieve the pressure. Bled like a stuck pig. And, my wife learned a couple of new words.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 6:10am
I think I meant FAL. Again, not well versed in '60's military rifles.
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 1:44pm
Have shot several M1 Grands and enjoyed them for what they were, a weapon that could put out some serious firepower and be able to hit the target. Yes, it bites if you are not careful.
For both weapons (Enfield & Grand) reloading was/is a problem in a way. A 30 rd mag that can be switched out as fast as loading either of the above seems to work a lot better. That said not a fan of the m16/ar15.
Enfield, a weapon that has been around since before WW1 and still a strong weapon, that states something.

As far as getting bit, one of my clients told the story of the recruit shooting for the first time, just as he went to pull the trigger on his Enfield he pushed it away. It came back of course, right into his jaw. Broke the lower jaw, teeth etc. He said it was a right bloody mess.

Later 42rocker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic