Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6/47 No5 Mk1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6/47 No5 Mk1
    Posted: February 08 2018 at 8:50pm
I have to completely clean the bayonet first to see any marks. It's in rough shape but can be salvaged.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 7:01pm
nice grab , shes a late one as production ceased in 10/47 , mine is one of those as well , i love it and will not part with it , put the finish back to normal please , my FAZ has the metal cap on the forestock , me early BSA was like yours without , i do not think this feature dates them in any way , BSA started and quit first and FAZ started and quit last , 

the bayonet was a major plus as noted , can you describe the markings please , there are many indian versions out there , not that they are bad , a poole would be better P in a circle , pretty tiny and not easy to spot as light stamped sometimes , 
i wish our photo storage allowed a lot more - but then id have to spend all that time loading etc , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 6:53pm
It's a brass wire wheel for a Dremel tool. I have it soaking in paint thinner right now.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 6:26pm
Goosic,

Are you joshing us about the wire wheel?  'cos if you Aren't we will have to break all your fingers, slow like , so you get to enjoy it!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 3:07pm
"NOT AN ENFIELD!!!" I just done a buddy's Cooey. Same thing. Stock, iron, all encased in laquer! I stripped the wood (but totally understand why you don't won't too). Put the iron in an old plastic roof gutter I had kicking around. Lathered steel parts in varnish remover. Drove to the nearest self serve car wash. Put tray on the ground then hit it with gentle soap, then rinse. They also has an air station so blew everything out. All varnish and old oil gone! Water was hot enough to kinda of evaporate. No bluing touched. Looks nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 2:13pm
The wire wheel is a bit drastic! How about multiple coats of industrial strength paint stripper or solvent?Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Goosic. I'm curious as to leaving the laquer finish on the furniture.

I don't want to muddy up the color of the wood underneath the laquer...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 1:45pm
I was so fortunate..My recoil butt pad was pooched. Hard hard hard, cracked & discoloured.
Rhino shows up here a couple years ago with a new recoil pad - still in the wrapper!!

What a mate!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 6:52am
Goosic. I'm curious as to leaving the laquer finish on the furniture.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 6:46am
Took my first Ferrel pig with one years ago out in the Shaperal Bush along the central coast. 185g Remington soft point at 75 yards. Almost started a brush fire from the muzzle blast. LOL I still have that box of ammo with fifteen rounds left but the rifle is long gone. Stolen by some kids up the street who are still in the klink for other activity.

Nice score on #5
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 6:30am
I've never owned one. Kind of a bucket list thing with me. The guy that owned it put a clear laquer finish on the wood. I'm going to leave that alone. He did also put the clear laquer all over the barrel, trigger guard, magazine, and buttpad. I'm taking all the metal to a wire wheel and some paint stripper,and then the wire wheel again. I will then spray it with stove paint.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 5:36am
AWESOME DEAL!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 5:31am
Now you can go out and hurting your lugs shooting it!

Great looking rifle and Great price!  Congrats on such a good find.
When I had one, I put a regular N0 4 buttstock on it, as there was is less felt recoil with the full width brass buttplate.

Best,
Richard.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 5:12am
Great buy!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 4:20am
Nice grab!

Took me a long time to get a bayo & scabbard for mine.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 9:14pm
I could not believe that those bayonets are that expensive,until I saw the prices. I thought my cruciform bayonet was an expensive one,"paid ten whole American dollars for it." All I know with any amount of certainty is that I did extremely well on this purchase
Stripped it down to bare bones when I got home tonight. No issues that I can see or feel. The wood is great with no cracks. The bolt, barrel,and magazine have the same serial number as the receiver so,that's another plus. The serial number I need some help with. AB 2197, Is that an extremely low number or am I looking at this the wrong way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic