Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bullet feed ramp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bullet feed ramp
    Posted: February 14 2018 at 6:15pm
Just wondering what the knowledgeable group thinks the best way to polish the bullet feed ramp is. I've used fine Emery cloth followed by crocus cloth in the path. This does a nice job but is kinda time consuming. A little nervous to use a Dremel. Thoughts?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 7:20pm
I've used a small buffing wheel on my Dremel starting out with a course jeweler's rouge,then down to medium,and then a very fine. Ends up looking like a mirror.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 7:23pm
To be honest I have not tried polishing the feed ramp. That sounds like a worthwhile project I should try. I understand how a slick ramp should help feed rounds more smoothly. Good post Honkytonk!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 7:32pm
Goosic. Good advise. Canuck, I noticed the FMJ's worked very smooth, as did some Sabre Tips. The Sierra Hunter lead point seems to want to "grab" the ramp. As these two rifles are new to me and virtually as I received them, some TLC should help! Thanks guys!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 6:10am
I use my usual go to for fine finishing. Green Scotchbrite. It really does leave a mirror finish.
Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 6:26am
Shamu. Scotch Brite. Is that look like kind of a scouring pad? Do you do it by hand?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 8:25am
Yes its the green kitchen scouring pads from the supermarket. Cut a small square or strip of the right size & just use finger pressure fairly lightly with a back & forth motion, not side to side. I plug the chamber with a 3" patch or two & poke it out from the muzzle end with a cleaning rod at the end. You dont want abrasive fibers in the chamber or bore! If you want a really slick finish end up with a drop of WD40 on the pad for the final few passes. Wipe down with absorbent fabric to remove whiskers & so on.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:57pm
I too never thought to do this. Could be worthwhile I guess. Until now, the only action mine gets is a bit of rubbing as the round passes by. Possibly effective over time, but not too cheap.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 1:42pm
If it feeds fine its probably not really needed.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 2:16pm
My #4 sporter deer slayer is going to get the feed ramp polishing job. Not that it doesn't feed well because it does but...just in case something gets sticky polishing might be the difference between a clean one shot harvest or deer tracks in the snow leading into the bush far far away never to be seen again. Heck, it's still winter so I need something to tinker with this afternoon!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 2:27pm
Shamu. After what you mentioned about scotch Brite, went and bought some. I did lightly plug the bore with a patch. Turned out nice! But... I put a few spitzer rounds in the magazine for a test run... not quite there. Guess what? The No4 Parker Hale .303 that I just got and was test firing with the feed issue? Guy said he had to buy an aftermarket mag. Said he paid $100 for it. After about an hour of tweaking, feeding seems pretty good now.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 2:49pm
I took my feed ramp/spring out of the magazine box to work on it. Seems easier with no mess of any kind going into the chamber/bore.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 3:11pm
I actually did the same to compare this after market magazine with a dependable No4 mag I've used many times. The box mag just below both front tabs was "bent" outwards a few degrees. I closed this up to match the "constant" mag I used as a guide, which then made the tabs even tighter. I then duplicated the "claw" on the front tabs. Took about an hour of fiddling, but when I reinstalled the box mag spring and put a few rounds to test, it seemed pretty slick!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 5:53am
Have we got two things going on here?

I ask, as we seem to be talking about feed ramp, And the follower in the magazine.

Honks,
The No 4 doesn't feed long round-nosed bullets as well as the No 1 Mk 111, but as you are finding, they Can be improved !  :-)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 5:57am
Those aftermarket mags are notoriously bad. These have a terrible reputation.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/enfield-no-1-10-rd-mags-blued?a=282614

There is a company in  the U.K making 5 & 10 round ones for the no1 & the No4/5 that seems better.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 5:57am
Polished feed ramp on my No4.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic