Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question to the Empire..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question to the Empire..
    Posted: March 08 2018 at 3:07pm
I'm Canadian, but believe in the Crown. That being said, does Great Britian have a deer hunting season? Curious... Thanks!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 5:50pm
Yes, they do. Its called "Stalking" from what I am told.
As well, their deer are not at all like ours.
Plus - its quite difficult to get our equivalent of "tags", from what I understood from our late member, Tony Sugden
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 5:56pm
I wonder if it is the difficulty in owning a firearm, or perhaps lack of huntable land? Or maybe lack of animals? Interesting...
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 7:45pm
Most land is private, so you need permission to hunt, but yes, there are deer seasons.  I think they are a lot better than here, as stags and hinds, & bucks and does usually have different seasons.
In Scotland and various areas of England, Red deer can be stalked, also the Sika deer in some areas, (introduced) and also Roe deer in many areas plus fallow deer.

If you have access to stalking you will usually get your FAC no bother, apart from the usual storage and such provisos.
I think Tony had shooting in the forestry commission lands, where they like to keep the numbers of red deer down due to damage of young trees. 
I have been over here for more than 34 years now, so it may have changed a bit, but the old .303 was popular for red deer, and the .243 plus .223 for the smaller varieties.
We had the little roe deer on the farm back in Yorkshire.

If you have deer forest on your land, there is no such thing as tags;
It's up to the landowners to sort out how many heads they will take, and which ones to keep a healthy balance.  For this reason, a good number of poor breeding stock are taken, including too old or hummel stags, and switches.    (Hummels, no antlers, and switches only grow  single long sword-like antlers)  Switches can be very deadly in the rut, so are culled out as far as possible.
It is the same with hinds/does;  more poor breeding stock is taken than good ones, it is all to keep the healthiest herd possible.

Over here, I am always surprised that we see such decent deer...............as everyone shoots the best and leaves all the scrubs to breed!

Hope this helps Honks,

Richard.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 5:18am
Very much so. Thank you.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 5:24am
What a lot of British hunters do is join a syndicate the group then shares the costs for property & land management, making it a semi-private preserve.
Its called "Stalking" to differentiate it from "following the hounds: (fox hunting) which is different & far more controversial.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 6:17am
Where I live, getting permission from landowners is getting difficult. I understand, as it is their property and they can do with it what they wish. Thankfully, we are blessed with an abundance of Crown land, open to all. The only down side to that is there may be another hunting party on the land that you are not aware of. This usually isn't an issue, as the rule of thumb is if there is a vehicle(s) parked on the border of the Crown land, you assume someone is hunting and you do not enter. Works good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 6:33am
Sham,

I think all hunting with hounds has been banned.
I was always rooting for the fox myself!

Thinking about my reply, Tonks, I should add that stalking is a good name for it, especially in Scotland, where "deer forest" is often open and bleak hill country.....no trees very often.

Up there, binoculars are very rarely used, as they do not have the magnification to assess deer heads at a mile or two, or  further away.  A good telescope is always carried, plus a (Can't think of the name of it!)  walking stick anyway. normally a thumb-stick or the same as a shepherd's crook.  This is used to steady the telescope, used like a monopod.
"Glassing the hill" can take a very long time, and when the quarry has been determined, a stalk is initiated, keeping as much as possible to dead ground/cover, and can take a Long time!
For this kind of sport, "Stalking" is as good a name as any....as that's exactly what it is!

Sometimes a pony is still used for removing the deer from the hill after gralloching, but nowadays an "Argocat" or Land-Rover or whatever are often used.
Many large estates let some of the shooting as Shamu says, so a days deer stalking can be had, where even the rifle can be borrowed.  A ghillie has to accompany the stalker for obvious reasons.

Best,
R.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 6:54am
This might be a stupid question. Do people enjoy eating venison over there? If so, what is some favourite ways to prepare it? Always looking for new recipes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 7:48am
Tonks,

Yes it is enjoyed, more as joints (roasts) than sausage!    Sometimes done in red wine....

I just looked up some photos to give you an idea of Scottish deer forest.  As you will see, only way to transport your quarry from the hill is pony or drag it at times.
As you can see, shots are normally fairly Long.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 8:28am
I think fox hunting is banned, but the terminology has stuck anyway.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 9:23am
HHmm..not a orange vest anywhere.

Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 9:42am
Wow. Rugged country! Love the hunting tweeds! Is the last leading the horse carrying a shotgun?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 10:37am
Either that or a double-barreled rifle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 2:29pm
No, it's a rifle in a case. 
Rifle is often carried in a case until needed. 
Actually, I might be wrong.  it may be a surpressor.....
 can't quite tell.  (like image above)

Richard.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 2:37pm
Ok. I'll ask the obvious question. Why would she have a supressed weapon?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic