Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question to the Empire..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 5:58am
In Manitoba Canada, I heard that our elk have been decimated with TB as the result of some farmed elk having escaped the pens and mingled with the wild ones. Apparently it is pretty rare for wild elk to get TB. I'm not sure if it's true or not. Every elk harvested requires the upper respiratory system to be sent into the Govt Wildlife Dept.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 6:26am
Tonks,

We could do with something to thin the elk down here in Alberta.
We get herds of more than 200 and they can ruin a whole pile of hay in a night.
Hunting season was useless, as it was mild and no snow. Need another season about now.

Hoadie,

These "dogs " in my last post, are about the same as a decent mule-deer in size.

Here are a few photos of the little Roe Deer;
The antlers are never much different to what you see in these photos.  Lovely little things only about 30 " high at shoulder.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 6:52am
Too many elk? Are licenses readily available to your general public? Our elk and moose herds are in steady decline mostly do to over unregulated "sustenance" hunting. Last season I believe success rate was below 20%. Just no animals around. Sad really...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 7:21am
We have a general season for bull elk, they have to be 3 point or better.
The cows are on draw.
They have this stupid idea of selling three licenses for the same critters.
By this I mean they have three short seasons, not exactly the same all over the province  ,but in our area, Nov. 1 to the 20th, then Nov 21st to something like Dec. 15th, then Dec. 16th to some time in January.
So, they are all sold for the same lot of animals. Thing is, I have had a tag, but which season will they turn up in??   You have a 2 ~1 chance of getting it wrong!

If they wanted to thin them out, they'd give general tags for a longer period.
We have lots of heavy bush in this area still, and they are often protected there, but sneak out at night, raise havoc and back in their sanctuaries before daylight.

When we came here from UK in 1984, we never had elk around here, just the odd ancient antler in the muskeg. Now we're over -run with them.
My sisters feed pile is right by the house, and still elk get into it. Been moving /stacking and trying to keep them out for a good while.  There was 230-odd in the field opposite the house a while back.

Richard.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 7:24am
Might have to rig up one of those bang machines to keep geese away. Although, that close to the house, might make for a fitful sleep!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 7:55am
The only thing I add to venison is apples or bacon (or both), because its so dry otherwise.
My best spit-roast deer recipe is so simple its frightening.
Prep the whole body,  fit the spit & sew the neck closed (ish) with a turkey kit. Now stuff the body cavity with lots of bacon & cut apples, cut in 4 & pit them. Sew the opening shut also.
Slow cook over apple wood. Offset the spit a little so you can put down a long pan for "drippings" re-baste the spit roast with them regularly.
When done use the drippings for a good pan gravy.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 2:26pm
So, yes, the biggest deer in the UK are red deer. Famously shot in inaccessible places in Scotland. Although the ones that live in other areas tend to be bigger. Then there's the Sika, which isn't really that small. Then there's roe deer, the only other native species (with Reds) that are about Labrador size (some bigger, some smaller). There are also muntjac and Chinese water deer, both introduced which are smaller again.

Yes, all land in the UK is owned and basically you have to have permission from the owner to stalk there, unless you own it of course. This is done in a number of ways. Syndicates have been mentioned, where a group of people pay in to be able to stalk land. You can pay to have a days shooting, generally supervised by a ghillie. We don't have tags like the USA. But control is exercised by landowners who set cull figures, the idea being to keep the deer population at ideal levels for a healthy population. I don't know of any stalkers that use a .303 these days, although there are probably still some.

As for fox hunting in the traditional way, that is now illegal, although it still goes on legally, where the idea is that the hounds now follow a laid scent trail. Sometimes, a fox is put up and the inevitable happens though. But killing foxes is not illegal. they are controlled by shooting and traps mostly, mainly to minimise losses to sheep farmers (a fox will not take an adult sheep, but will take lambs) and birds, including chickens and game birds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 5:37pm
Pedro,
Yes, the .303 still showed up before we left, 34 years ago.   Have a good pal and he is on his third barrel with  his .276 Rigby.  (7x57 Mauser to some)  It is only used for the red deer.
Very good round too.
I would put a decent Roe deer a bit bigger than a lab, we used to get them around 30" at shoulder back home in our area.  Not labs though.  :-)

This is a fox rifle another pal has just set up.  It's a .223"   He's in the Glaisedale area;
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 10:49am
I don't know nowadays, like others I've been gone from the U.K. since 1973 part time time & 1985 full time. It used to be a suppressor was simply another firearm. It took a slot on your ticket, back then 3 was automatic, but you could request a "variation" for more if you could show a need & (stalking or noise regulation violations were reasons) the suppressor had to be serial numbered.

Noise reduction with a good one is about 30 dB, which doesn't sound a lot but dB is a logarithmic scale so it is. 30m dB is a 1000:1 reduction, but mostly its the nature of the sound, not the volume that is changed.

No Orange vests HOADIE, no need. we can usually tell the human from the game, he's the one talking, moving, smoking & passing gas!
Confused

For anyone brave this is a (slightly modified) recipe for "Umble pie", taken by mix 'n matching a couple of recipes I've tried. There's a lot of debate about its origins. One side says the poorer bits of meat, the bones & the guts & brains were passed off to the peasants & servants as a tip for working the hunt, the other disputes this as the herbs & spices would be much too expensive for them to have afforded back then. That suggests it was simply a way of maximizing yield from the kill.

Umble pie, Figgy Pudding’s version…

For the pastry:

200g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
100g butter  (cut into small, rough cubes)
large pinch of saffron
1 egg yolk
cold water (about half a mug of cold water will be needed)

For the filling:

6 strips of streaky bacon 
100g bacon lardons (A lardon, also called lardoon or larding, is a small strip or cube of pork fat )

200g venison offal also add venison scraps as available, but remove any fat. (kidneys, liver & sweetbreads work best; chopped & boiled for around 20 minutes until tender, then cooled)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.) 4 dried apricots, diced.
1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
10 cloves
1 tsp Mace
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
100g butter
100ml red wine
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped

Boil the offal & spices (cloves, mace nutmeg & cinnamon) for 20 minutes and then leave to cool for 40 minutes. At the same time as you begin boiling the offal, If you’re using saffron to give your pastry a warm golden-hue, steep the saffron in a tablespoon of hot water for 30 minutes or so. By the time you come to use the water, it should have completely cooled.

Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; a metal bowl works best as it keeps the pastry cool. Put the cubes of butter into the flour, and with your fingers, rub the butter into the flour.  Keep rubbing until the mixture has the texture of fine, small breadcrumbs. Drop the egg yolk into a well and add 2 tablespoons of cold water and the (now-cooled) saffron water. Mix with a butter knife. Mix everything together, adding more cold water if necessary and keep mixing until a ball of pastry is easily formed.  Wrap the pastry in cling film and put in the fridge for around 30 minutes.

Roll 2/3 of the pastry out until it is thin enough to cover the base and sides of the pie dish. Then line the dish with the pastry and arrange 3 bacon rashers one way and make a criss-cross pattern by laying the other 3 slices in the opposite direction. Put the pie funnel in the centre of the pie and around this put the cooled, cooked offal and the bacon lardons. Add the pepper, salt, fruits & nutmeg. Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the pie. Crimp the edges closed, using a little water to join the pie lid to the edges. You can use any leftover pastry to make leaves or more intricate designs! Brush the top of your pastry with a little milk or cream, just before placing in the oven.

Bake in  an oven at 180°C for 40 minutes. While the pie is cooking In the meantime, mix the wine, butter and thyme leaves in a saucepan. Heat until the butter melts then bring to a slow boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook down for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.

When you remove the pie from the oven pour in the wine sauce (if you have a pie funnel that allows this to be poured into the pie – even better! Serve hot with peas or other green veg.

Fresh from the oven…

The Results…

If you like liver, this won’t disappoint (but does anyone really like liver these days?). The liver and kidneys give a lovely flavour to the bacon and those juices seep into the pastry below. I think it would be better in future if the liver, kidney and lardons were all the same size, cut up very small, so that the flavours mix together far better. If all three meats placed within the pie resembled a large mince, I think the outcome could be quite delicious.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 12:07pm
My wife and I still enjoy liver and onions! Have it about 4 times a year! I also make a pretty mean steak and kidney pie. I am going to try the Umble Pie this fall.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 12:17pm
Thumbs Up
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 12:43pm
Geeze Sham..that pie seems like a bother of work. (Sorry)

...& since they wont let us eat the liver here anymore, guess its not gonna happen any time soon.

Beef / calves liver is excellent. Best place in town for it is T.J's, but they only have it on Wednesdays..bummer. Best liver,onions & bacon EVER!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 1:05pm
Stop Hoadie, I'm drooling!!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 6:18am
"they wont let us eat the liver here anymore"
WHAT!
WHY not?

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 6:36am
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 7:34am
[QUOTE=hoadie] Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

I have CRS, can not remember stuff!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic