Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Six to one,half a dozen to the other...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Six to one,half a dozen to the other...
    Posted: March 10 2018 at 5:18pm

Both of these are No4 Mk2 rifles. The top one was rescued and refurbished to original condition. The bottom one is an amalgamation of N.O.S. aftermarket parts, including the cut down No1 MkIII barrel. Both are beautiful to me.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 5:54pm
im more fond of the top one myself but i get it that you like both , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 7:22pm
Given that it's done right,I'm fond of any No4,in whatever form ,from stock to extensively modified.
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 12:02pm
I don't know why, but I'm a fellow that likes a well-finished sporter. Your's sure looks good!
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 2:06pm
Viva la difference.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 2:50pm
My only critique with the sporter is that I'd have shortened the barrel by several inches for balance.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 3:09pm
I kept the military from site with the protective ears on my latest Parker Hale Sporter. I really like the look! Coupled with a walnut cheek piece and the new Addley scope mount coming (that supplies a rear peep calibrated to the specs of the battle site, I like the ability for a back up aiming system during the hunt!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 3:10pm
...also, a couple of extra inches cannot hurt accuracy!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 3:25pm
I very much kept the balance in mind when I started this project. I started with a 25 inch No1 MkIII barrel. After a bunch of mocking up,I got it to balance quite well. From measuring inside where the riflings start,it twists exactly two and a quarter times at 21 1/4",with a total barrel length of 23 1/4". The photos show it to be fairly well balanced​. The bar stool back is only 1/2" wide,about a fingers width.
This is with a fully loaded five round magazine too.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 3:35pm

This might be a better shot...
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 4:32pm
for what its worth here , ive a,ways been a traditionalist but not often had an issue with the sporters , i grew up in that era , i know the work - much that i respect greatly , and have no issue withthe sported rifles , i like to think that those few that have not been sported are still there for we collectors of original equipment , i do not see the ownwers of sorters as the problem , 

i see those that continue to cut originals to a sporter as a problem , we can both exist , together , we both have our interest ,and there are so many new items to cut and paste these days that are so much better for the purpose , im just in that court of leaving originals as they were when they are antiques , 

im not anti sporter - if you look at my past posts you will see that , i dont have a lot of sporters in my accumulation , but i have a couple , that are fantastic fetes of american gunsmithing , one i shoot regularly , 

but then - i am also of the group that believe if you bought it you own it - you can do as you please with it - i may not agree but its yours 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 5:10pm
Rest assured A Square. This was not a cut up original. This was pieced together with every spare part I had on hand. When I purchased the receiver,I was informed that one of the ears for the sight was cracked and possibly not repairable. It was in fact broken off. I will always leave well enough alone with an original,the only exception being the T rifle I put together. If I find one that has been bubba'd beyond reasonable conversion back to original,I will clean it up and make it presentable as a sporter.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 5:21pm
i think my friend - we have no issues , there have not been any in the past , i forsee none in the future , i like the idea that you are picking up items that have been discarded and such and rebuilding them into useable firearms , so much in life is lost or discarded as junk , its refereshing to know that such items get a new lease on life , 

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 2:59am
If you had a newish motor car in the '60's you might well have modified it.... No problem

If you had a classic 1960's motor car now and modified it you would be ruining it's history.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 4:27am
Very true Stanforth but, were has the history gone to in an Enfield rifle that is missing the majority of its pieces when you've found it? I have four No4 rifles that came into my possession in various stages of disrepair,one of which had a hose clamp holding the shortened stock to the cut down barrel together. That one in particular became a No4 Mk1 T Sniper rifle. It looks period correct but no history. Another one,the one pictured,is a Maltby No4 Mk1/2. Trying to find the correct furniture for that was not easy but I managed. It is all back to what it looked like when it left Fazackerley in 52' after its FTR. Still no history. The history of those two were removed when the previous owners cut it out of the rifles. The modified version you see in this post had all of its history taken from it a long time ago. It is an amalgamation of parts that I had,the last item being the receiver that came to me missing a piece off the back of it. It could not be restored to it's former self so without question and without hesitation,I made what you see here,and here is where it gets a new lease on life and a new history to write like,one day my grandchild might say,"Look at this,my grandpa made this." I was raised knowing that if something is worth doing,it's worth doing right. If I can restore an Enfield to its original military condition,I will. However,if I can't,I will spend the time and money to modify it so that it can still be used and admired.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 4:38am
Stanforth.
All five of these rifles share one absolute and that is,all of them are aftermarket Enfields. Each one was pieced together.
The middle one in the last photos was originally modified by Golden State Arms, I just added to the modification...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic