Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Synthetic stock removal???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synthetic stock removal???
    Posted: March 20 2018 at 3:49am
Is there a trick to removing the butt stock?

Bit of a puzzler with one over on another board.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 4:49am
Its a tight fit, but once the bolt is out it should just wiggle off with a little persuasion. There's something odd about that setup for sure the bolt is nowhere near long enough.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 5:46am
If you're referring to the ATI synthetic stock for the No4, here is my two cents worth of advice. Before I put mine on,I first had to remove some material from around the the butt socket of the stock to get it to fit with minimal resistance. That being said,you will still have to smack the stock back and forth to get it to come loose after the stock bolt is removed.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 5:58am
Goosic. I had to do the same when I installed one of those stocks on a buddy's rifle. When I first test fit it, it wouldn't even fit. I believe the majority of the material removed was at the bottom. Careful not to take to much off! Test fit lots! Don't want a wobble.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 6:00am
Also, don't smack it with a regular hammer! I wrap a towel around the end and use a rubber dead blow or gently tap it on the work bench, first one side the the other. It'll come.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 6:04am
The issue seems to be the screw that was removed. It is small and not very long. 

Is this the only Fastener? How does it function? What screws into the butt socket bass?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 7:18am
There should be one long shafted screw, It normally passes through the length of the wood butt & bolts into the rear of the receiver's wrist (part # 58). Frequently you can see the other end from the front.
It almost looks like someone used a shorter bolt in a hollow synthetic stock then filled it in with something that's buried the original down there somewhere!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 7:37am
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

The issue seems to be the screw that was removed. It is small and not very long. 

Is this the only Fastener? How does it function? What screws into the butt socket bass?

I just looked at the photos. If they're not going to use that stock and the girl needs a shorter one,grab a saw and cut the stock a few inches behind the butt socket until you hit the bolt holding it in place. Someone filled that stock with Bondo,covering up the hole the bolt goes through to the butt socket. Give me a second and I'll post some pics of what it's supposed to look like.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 7:44am

That's what it is supposed to look like, a big hollow hole. You can see where the bolt is supposed to go through...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 7:48am

Inform those fellows to cut the stock here. They'll hit the bolt,if it's in there,and then keep cutting around it until the bolt is exposed.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 8:12am
Must not have had the original flat head long bolt and just grabbed something with the right thread.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Must not have had the original flat head long bolt and just grabbed something with the right thread.

None of the above Honkytonk. This is the stock in question. It's been filled in with Bondo and more to the point,Bondo has been filled in over the bolt.
The guy is having an issue removing it. It's for a girl that is short and he wants to put a shorter stock on. I say cut it off,if he's not going to use it,and from the looks of the pictures, it's pretty much of no use anyways...
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 9:22am
Why they use a flat head is a mystery to me.  Perhaps the wedging effect on the butt tenon?  I would have used, back in the day,  a square or hex head machine screw.  Today I would be tempted to replace it with Torx head (Size 40).
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 1:59pm
Filled with Bondo? Perhaps he felt synthetic had that "hollow" no personal feeling that wood has. As far as a flat head bolt, back in the day (100 or so years ago) until today, it worked! Still works. On a personal note, if I was to buy a modern rifle (which I probably won't, even realizing the benefits of synthetic stocks) I would pay the extra for wood. Something about sitting in the woods hunting with a wood stocked rifle. Even when it's cold outside, your hand on the wood feels warm. Not so with plastic. My $.02 worth...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 2:14pm
I just bought a Parker Hale Supreme stock set yesterday. It'll be to me in a week. Taking the synthetic stock off of mine and putting it back in the box.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 2:24pm
Nice!! I've installed a few of those synthetic stocks on Enfields for friends. They look nice, and totally funtional. And they are cheap and keep people shooting Enfields rather than trashing them. I wish Bishop/fajen still made those quality wood stocks. Man, you sporterize an Enfield in one of those, it's a thing of beauty!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic