Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Marking on Longbranch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 8:53am
Tried beating on the bottom rear of the magazine, no change.

Here’s the thing, the magazine is already incredibly close to the trigger guard. I don’t see how it could get any closer.
TacticalLumberjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 12:33pm
This is all the gap there is. I sprayed with penetrating oil and beat the magazine into the rifle with the mallet in the position shown in this picture. I hit it in the back/bottom.

Here is where I am after beating on it.

The mag catch still seems stuck. If I try to pull on the magazine there is hardly any play at all.
Any ideas?

Sorry the pictures are sideways, not sure how to fix that.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 1:48pm
My 1944 Long Branch was converted to a No. 4 Mk I */3 by FAZ. They did not strike out “Long Branch”.

Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 2:29pm
Go to Misc Markings for a possible explanation.

https://www.marstar.ca/html/reflibrary/LeeEnfieldManufacturerMarks.html
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 2:34pm

I enhanced the photo. It's a No4 Mk1/3 (F) FTR.
I would like to see the 2 79 in the upper left corner a little better.
Fazackerley was never known to be consistent with striking out previous stamps or not when doing a FTR.
My Maltby has a few stamps striked out and electro stencilled over during it's FTR.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 3:09pm
OK first please, please quit beating it with a hammer, you'l bend or dent or break something.

Here's my best second suggestion
Remove the bolt.
turn the rifle upside down supported on sandbags or something.
Completely unscrew & remove the big bolt in front of the mag & remove it.
(Remember the order of the parts for reassembly, there's also a spring washer under the bottom metal & a "sleeve" passing through the wood.
CAREFULLY unscrew the cross screw at the back rear of the trigger guard. Its a bit fragile so don't go nutz on it.
Grasp the trier guard firmly & try wiggling it down (actually up) away from the stock wood. See if you can get it off. Possibly the magazine may come with it, but that's unlikely.
STOP unless the bottom metal comes off & the magazine becomes free.
Take some pics & tell us where the mag is now jammed.
Sorry to do it in bite sized pieces but without having in in my sweaty hands Its the best way to get you sorted out.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 3:46pm
Shamu. I guessing once trigger guard is off, main bolt,action removed, (can you remove the magazine spring when the magazine is still in the rifle with the bolt removed?) Then apply a wooden dowel and try to gently tap the magazine out? Am I close?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 4:15pm
Remove both screws from the trigger guard. Remove the cross bolt from the stock. Remove the upper hand guards. Push on the magazine release firmly while simultaneously pulling on the trigger guard itself. With everything loose,the trigger guard should free itself from the stock leaving the magazine. Once that happens,start working the forestock off. Use alot of penetrating oil. If all goes well,you should get the magazine out from the receiver well...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 7:19pm
It says:
/52’79L5708

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

OK first please, please quit beating it with a hammer, you'l bend or dent or break something.

Here's my best second suggestion
Remove the bolt.
turn the rifle upside down supported on sandbags or something.
Completely unscrew & remove the big bolt in front of the mag & remove it.
(Remember the order of the parts for reassembly, there's also a spring washer under the bottom metal & a "sleeve" passing through the wood.
CAREFULLY unscrew the cross screw at the back rear of the trigger guard. Its a bit fragile so don't go nutz on it.
Grasp the trier guard firmly & try wiggling it down (actually up) away from the stock wood. See if you can get it off. Possibly the magazine may come with it, but that's unlikely.
STOP unless the bottom metal comes off & the magazine becomes free.
Take some pics & tell us where the mag is now jammed.
Sorry to do it in bite sized pieces but without having in in my sweaty hands Its the best way to get you sorted out.

Success! There is just a LOT of cosmoline, getting the trigger guard off helped with everything.
However, it still won’t feed and I found out why.

Look at the front feed lips. The one on the right is bent. When I cycle rounds, they get caught under that lip and nosedive onto the feed ramp. It feeds from the left side just fine, but always gets hung up on the right.

To clarify, it did this BEFORE I hit anything with a hammer.
So, I suppose it’s time to get another magazine? I’ve seen them online.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 6:08am
Whoever unwrapped it only cleaned the outside, the stuff inside just fossilized!
One of those disposable cloths (J-Cloths) & denatured alcohol (Yellow Heet) will dissolve & remove it. Just remember to re-oil afterwards as the metal is now completely stripped of protection.
Just a tiny db of grease on the triggers 2 bumps & the part of the sear that they contact.
You can probably sort out the magazine, bent feed lips can be un-bent slowly & carefully till they feed correctly. I use a round rod or the closed jaws of needle-nosed pliers to slowly prize them up JUST enough, go  in tiny steps then stop. Don't grasp the lips with the pliers just use the closed jaws as an adjustable tapered mandrill to bear on the magazine body & push down on the handles to draw them up through the feed lips.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 6:10am
Reading the whole thread I don't think you have a cross-bolt to remove as your rifle is a No4 Mk1.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 7:33am
Shamu. His rifle is a No4 Mk1/3. The bolt is there. You can see it in the one picture. It went through a FTR in 52'. Not trying to step on toes here...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 7:37am
Originally posted by TacticalLumberjack TacticalLumberjack wrote:

It says:
/52’79L5708

I saw that in the latest photos you shared.
The 52' is the date it went through a FTR. Factory thorough repair. The 79L5708 is the Longbranch serial number of your rifle.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 9:19am
OK, then yes it has a cross-bolt. I see it in the later pictures now.
I was thinking there were 2 rifles his No4 Mk1 from the early posts & someone else s No4 Mk1 conversion to Mk1/2.
Sick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 8:29pm
Got the feed lips fixed. Good old needle nose pliers did the trick.

Thanks everyone! Because of you all I can now remove the magazine and the rifle feeds reliably.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic