Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct assembly of L-E safety mechanism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct assembly of L-E safety mechanism
    Posted: April 03 2018 at 12:07pm
This question gets asked so often on so many sites I took a pic & stickied it here!

This is is the one & only 100% right one for a correctly assembled safety lever & safety catch for the No1, No4 & No5 rifles.

This is from a No1, but the alignment is the same on all 3.
There is a similar one, but its not "right" being very "floppy".
This is the alignment with the safety catch tightened fully on the safety lever.
Thumbs Up

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Chris D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 3:27pm
Thanks.  I had to learn by experience a few weeks ago.  Once question.  The washer on the other side is a replacement for the thickness of the volley sight.  My washer has a flat side and a concave beveled side.  Does it matter with side is in or out?  I ended with the bevel side in and the flat side against the spring.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 8:33am
That's different from mine! I have a smooth side & a side with a "slot" cut through it. The slot faces out, away from the rifle because it engages "ridges" in the safety spring to give positive clicks. Do you have the cast or the stamped style spring?
Confused

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Chris D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 10:20am
Ishapore 2A.  Here is the assembly before I sent it off for a CeraKote treatment.  Still a bunch of  Indian black paint.   The washer is flat side down.   Not sure of the spring type.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 6:32am
That's a cast spring, the other is bent sheet metal.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/products/486440.jpg

I have no idea on the correct way round for that one, does it "click" into position?
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 12:26pm
Chris D, on that style it honestly won't matter. I put the beveled edge to the outside but it doesn't make a difference.

Shamu, that's the stamped spring for the No 4. The stamped spring for the No 1 is different. Just wanted to make sure others realized that.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 3:00pm
Oops yes, the No1 one isn't dog legged like that.
This is what I was trying to post.

Chris D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 6:40pm
Based on the picture it is a cast spring.   I put the flat side out and the beveled side in.  At first it was loose bit after research.  O realized it was a due to the same error you wrote this thread for.  Once I assembled the safety so it finished at the 11 O'clock position the safety held its position.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic