Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No5 Mk1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No5 Mk1
    Posted: April 03 2018 at 3:46pm
I got the No4 stock and hand guard this morning. It had an ishy screw. Now it doesn't. I shortened the forestock and hand guard,sanded alot of wood away,added the metal cap to the shortened stock and this is what I have so far. It still has a way to go before it's functional. Comments please...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 7:05pm
I had my No5 out yesterday in the stand. It also has the metal cap on the forestock. I don't have the guts to do it, but thought it would look really cool like you've done, minus the metal cap. Kinda like a mini L42A1?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 7:35pm
I bought the forestock and hand guard from Numrich. A total of $35.00 plus tax. It's an arsenal refurbished stock and the hand guard had the front end with a big chunk of wood missing to begin with. Not a huge loss if I ruined the stock. I've never attempted doing something like this. Figured why not.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 7:36pm
Good job!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 7:47pm
i think i still see that screw , but then my old eyes and diminshed capabilities ... who knows anymore , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 7:55pm
What you see is one of those stock reinforcement bolts off of some other military rifle. I unscrewed the Ishy screw,drilled out the hole to accept the stock reinforcement bolt,drilled out the other side to accept the round nut.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 7:56pm
There's a big DP stamped in the wood just in front of the trigger guard.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 7:59pm
ahhh - that explanes me seein shiny bits , i am wondering of the sling ? is that a US Kerr M1917 ??
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 8:09pm
It said US KERR 1903-A4 on the plastic bag it came in the other day.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 6:07am
Are you planning on making the cooling vents in the sides again? It think that would look great.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 3:46pm
ummm , that is the rarer of those , the longer one for the M1917 rifle were the more common , then the really short ones for the thompson SMG , but this one is shorter than the M17 version specifically for the 03s , 
i had one on of the same version on one of my 03s but not the A4gery i had , they are a terrific sling , 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 8:15am
You are asking for comments Goosic, so I will be candid.

I dont like it. To my taste, you have missed the mark.

I do like the concept of the rifle that you have built. As a designer, I learnt an old addage 'form follows function'. I can see that it will be a handy weapon. I just dont like the execution of that modified fore arm.

To me the metal nose cap looks to be an appendage and doesn't flow with the lines of the fore arm. At first blush, the thing that attracted my eye is that metal cap and my first thought was 'WTF is that sticking out the front?'
 Just the front end of the wood is my problem, the forearm lines are kinda chunky and dont flow nicely. It looks like it is wot it is, a rifle with the wood cut back.

If it were mine, I would have left more length in the front end and tapered the wood down in similar fashion to that of an original JC. I would have taken that taper back and got rid of the step that you have there behind the band. I think it would look better if you simply cut that cap right off and go kinda 'Envoy style'.

Anyhoo, not meaning to piss in your cornflakes, but you did ask.

I know that like me, you likely will change it around and switch out parts a few times and modify things before you are happy with it, which is all part of the fun.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:16am
To simply,cut,the end off so it looks like an Envoy would not have been possible. It would have exposed one of the lightening cuts in the wood. There would have been a nasty looking hole in the front of the forestock but,I digress,I didn't like it either,to be honest. The forestock actually was an arsenal refurbished No4 Mk1 and it was not able to withstand the cutting and sanding. It broke. I refinished the original No5 stock,adding my personal touch to it. Form follows function...
What do you think of this setup?
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 6:00am

As I understand, it was not unusual for armourers to convert a No.4 fore arm for use on a No.5. As you mention, there are lightening cuts in the bottom of the barrel channel which would become exposed if the length were to be cut. Apparently this was plugged and the nose finished. Laidler gives an account of how this was done as he used to do it when he was stationed in the tropics where the supply of No.5 wood was not the best.

I find that sometimes old wood just deteriorates and no matter what you try, it will crack and break when working with it. Who knows what and where an India DP stock has been and what it has been subjected to. Sometimes it is a losing battle and it becomes time to replace rather than repair.
I was going to suggest that a new front section be spliced onto the rear portion of your modified DP stock, and to rework it, but not if the wood is suspect.

I do like your set up with the reworked original fore stock. 

There are a few chaps in NZ who are modifying their LE rifles into what has become known as a 'NZ brush carbine'. Again 'form follows function', there is a need for a light handy weapon. The brush carbine fits that need. Some very nice work has gone into some of these. 
I like them!

I have been looking at a couple of sportered rifles that have the potential for such a conversion. Hmmmm.

This one is an Ishy in 7.62 I believe.

These are not my pics, I punked them from over at castboolits.com
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 6:03am
I prefer the oval vent holes machined in the top and bottom furniture. Just my .02 worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic