Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lithgow 1913 and 1914

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithgow 1913 and 1914
    Posted: April 04 2018 at 10:09am
hi all i am in the process of restocking my 1913 lithgow no1 mk3 rebarreled in 1915 it had been sorted up and I want to get it back to original configuration , I found a period correct volley sight magazine cut of and nose cap with no serial numbers on it it has been lightens but has a early lithgow star stamp on the bottom
I also took shots of my 1914 which was restocked in ww1 at EFD factory and is still pretty sweet looking , both pass nogo and I an busting to get to the he range to go bang bang with them.all I need now is a 15/16/17and 18 lithgow
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 12:09pm
very nice indeed! Keep us up to date on the progress.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 2:19pm
Are you sure it’s rebarreled?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 3:25pm
very nice , where are you finding those nice mkIII bits and pieces ? 

i was wondering that as well homer , just based on the photos looks like it might have original 
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 4:02pm
It is stamped 1915 on the left side of the barrel, only non original parts will be stock nosecap and volley sight dial but all period correct.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 6:16am
Would you be kind enough to take a picture of the barrel date and proofs?
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 3:55pm
Here is a picture of the stamping son the left side of the barrel , I am assuming that the 1915 was the re barrel date or is it a service date. My 1914 has lots of British service marks on the left side of the rear stock band

Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 9:10pm
Interesting. I still have some doubt that’s a 5, more inclined to suggest it’s a 3.

Thanks for posting the picture
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 6:41am
Looks clearly like a "5" to me.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 5:38pm
i gotta agree but - but my eyes do not see as they used to , i just used my loop and it really does look to be a five , interestingly enough it still looks original to me , just sayin , do you suppose it could have been a bottom of the barrel receiver that got delayed that long ? 
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 5:53pm
I don’t think so the serial number is 160 very low I thought they numbered sequentially until99999then went to a prefix .i could be wrong thought .anyone else got some ideas
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 4:28am
The serial stamp and inspection stamps on receiver and barrel all match; I can't see it being anything else but the original barrel. I believe the number you think is a 5 is just a poorly struck 3.
It's a great find; having such a low number.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Damien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 1:40am
A very nice 1913, well done.  Interesting that it does not have any sign of having had the military district number stamped on the receiver ring.  Do you have the original butt, and if so, did that have any issue numbers and dates on it?  Also, is it marked HV on top of the barrel just behind the rearsight bed?  I have 139 in my Lithgow WW1 collection, but its not as nice as 160.

The 1914 looks like one of the ones put into the Brit arsenal system during WW1 when it was worn out or resighted into Mk.VII ammo.  It has an Enfield FTR style serial number. Lots of history in that one.

cheers,

Damien

pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 11:22pm
hi it is good to see the early smle i have a 15&17 but they are not as good as yours enjoy 
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 11:14pm
Damien no original stock I did get a period correct stick for it, I found a volley sight set that is from lithgow as well(lucky with that find ) .i have a 1916 that is all original minusrear  volley sight peep the volley sight peep is britished marked not lithgow ( I have a volley sight with same British markings ) might return this one to original spec.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 6:18am
Is not the '15' when it was accepted into service?
No reason it couldn't have been in store until then I don't think.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic