Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making a Stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a Stock
    Posted: April 05 2018 at 1:08am
I've been making a new stock for my daughter's air rifle; due to the fact that the original was much to long for her. This was my first attempt at this kind of thing and it turned out quite well. Not Enfield quality; but ok for a cheap air rifle.
I used two pieces of plywood; so it was easy to sculpt the interior fitting; then glued the two sides together and attacked it with a layered sanding disc on the angle grinder to get the shape. Then finished of with a sand paper block. (mobile phone photo's are not great)

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 6:08am
NICE!
A little stain, perhaps a brush with the torch to darken the wood, & some Linseed or Tung oil to finish.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 6:39am
I think it looks great! Something I've always wanted to try, but lacked the nerve. Well done!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:21am
I have yet to decide on what finish to give it. I will experiment on some spare bits of plywood and see which one my daughter likes. The plywood itself was recycled from a good quality packing crate. So no risk if it all went wrong.
I'll try and get some better pictures because my phone is really cheap (and crap)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:29am
Excellent wood working skills there Zed.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:39am
Wow very nice!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:45am
That looks pretty dang good to me!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 12:58pm
What a talented lot we have on this forum!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 2:50pm
I always thought a laminated stock would look awesome stained Hunter green, then finished with tund oil.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 3:52pm
im impressed , im no sculpter , i admire fine work such as that , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic