Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A No5 Mk1 with attitude.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A No5 Mk1 with attitude.
    Posted: April 11 2018 at 6:51pm
I shall preface this by stating that. Everything can be reversed and put back to original without any damages.
I found out something very interesting yesterday. The step down on the end of the barrel where the flash hider slides onto is .002" shallower then 5/8".
If you happen to have a 5/8x24 die and a tanker style .338 Lapua muzzle brake laying around with a internal thread diameter of 5/8x24,you can thread the end of the barrel and poof, installed muzzle brake. The pin locations are not affected and neither is the total diameter of the step. The flash hider can still be reattached. That being said. I have a No5 Mk1 with a custom Boyd's laminated stock with fully adjustable recoil pad,S&K scope mount,and muzzle brake. I polished the raceway the bolt slides down as well as the feed ramp. I followed Laidler's instructions on polishing the cocking piece,sear,and trigger. The bolt movement and trigger functionality is almost flawless. Until I find a complete original No5 forestock and hand guard,this is how she will remain.
Enjoy...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 4:03am
Looks pretty sharp to me.
You been doing some pretty cool work of late.

(Must be nice to have that kinda time!)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 4:34am
I aquired the time by total accident,in the literal sense of the word.Two years ago, I stopped my semi to help another trucker who jack knifed his rig. Only to be hit by a suv driver who never saw me or the jack knifed rig. The main thing that kept me alive was the temperature that night was below freezing. It took almost a year for me to be able to walk again. I had given away or sold off every Enfield I owned when I started driving over the road twenty years ago. Now that I'm permanently disabled and can no longer work,I have decided to get back into restoring/ customizing Enfields. I wish I had aquired the time in a different way though but, I'm alive and that's all that matters...
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 4:59am
Very nice work!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 6:06am
Goosic. Another interesting interpretation of what can be done with a Lee Enfield. I like it! I once saw a You Tube video that the guy had a Lee Enfield, I believe a No5. It had a Mannlicher full length stock on it, the top of the barrel exposed.. It was black so I suspect fiberglass or plastic. I looked around but could not see where this stock was available. Ever seen anything like that?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 7:22am
My uncle has a No4 Mk1 Parker Hale. The twin to my dad's matter of factly. Serial numbers 2157&2158, respectively. Anyways,my uncle bought a Mannlicher style two piece stock from Bishop back in the mid seventies. Haven't seen anything like that around any longer in a long while.
I'm going to put this out there so someone with the resources can do this. A 3-D laser printed Enfield stock set. Something to chew on there...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 7:53am
I put a BSA 3-9x50 scope on it and a quick release bipod.
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 8:47am
Fine looking firearm. Does it shoot as good as it looks. Sorry to here of your forced retirement. Keeping active keeps us around. Oldhand
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 9:55am
I have yet to shoot it. Just assembled it last night.
Going to try it out this weekend.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 11:19am
That is one very cool looking Enfield. I am looking forward to a range report.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 12:40pm
Wow! You have access to all this machinery..& its quite obvious you well know how to use it..& you can't go to work??!!

That's too bad..cuz I'll bet your talents could still be used to great effect. If it were MY shop..you'd have a nice comfy chair to work from
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 4:45pm
nice looking rifle , i am very glad you are still among us and decided to join our merry band 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 6:52pm
Thank you very much for that.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 8:07pm
I am impressed with all the free time you have. Even if it's forced on you.

Pura Vida

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Zormpas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Only to be hit by a suv driver who never saw me or the jack knifed rig.

That's pretty hard to miss...

Let me guess; a small, overpriced, electronic device was involved...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 9:32am
Dark desert highway,ten thirty at night. Cresting a summit ridge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic