Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing charging bridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing charging bridge
    Posted: April 20 2018 at 3:55pm
Hi: this my first post to this forum I’m a lee enfield addict. I just purchased an mk3 no1 in beautiful shape, but when I got it home I noticed that the charging bridge was missing.
Is a charging bridge necessary to mount a scope? Is it easy to replace amounting scope? Any ideas should be appreciated!

Thank you Patrick R
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 5:23am
Good luck finding one!
Censored
They're riveted to the receiver & as rare as rocking horse poo, as are the rivets..
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 5:49am
Patrick, welcome the site! There are way more knowledgeable people here than me, but I suspect one of the current "smithless" scope mounts would suit your needs.
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 6:18am
Welcome to the site.  There are a number of options to mount a scope both smithless and those requiring drilling and tapping.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 6:44am
Is the charger bridge the only thing missing? I believe you will look a long time to find a new charging bridge..from what I understand, they are scarce (a "bridge" too far??)
sorry - couldn't resist
Anyway - I'm assuming then that your rifle has been sporterized.
Do you have any pics?

(Oh - btw, welcome)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 7:09am
The charger bridge isn't absolutely necessary so you can get by without it. Besides, they are not exactly easy to put on. As for being hard to find...... I have 2 in my parts bins that I have salvaged from trashed Mk III's. I gather some of the strangest parts
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 8:56am
Geeze Bear..do you gather moss, as well?

I always thought that replacing a missing bridge was a "wish I could" type of thing. & you have 3??!!

Guess that proves what I thought, was wrong.

(Once before, I thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 1:24pm
I put one on an Ishapore that had had it chopped off. Needed 3 hands to hold and rivet but I got it.
Bridge came of a fire killed rifle. Made rivets of No 9 soft fencing wire.
Fiddly but doable!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 6:48pm
There are scope mounts for Enfields that go on the side of the receiver.
If the rifle is sporter it really does not matter
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 9:01pm
bear - im with hoadie here - you got parts most of us seldom see on the loose , 

as to the OP - welcome , we are always interested in what folks are doing with and to their enfields here , you will find this site helpful i think , im not the one tho....

if this is a sported hunting rifle you need to say so - you will get better answers , and i suspect this is if the bridge is missing , there are also safety concerns with such modifications to be aware of , 

it is a no1 mk III , for future reference and better results as the proper nomenclature is everything in these rifles , i suspect its actually a no1 mkIII* , you get different results depending on what you call it  as there are so many and its all about the nuances here 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 9:10pm
I happen to have a Parker Hale scope mount,rings and base for a No1 MkIII.
Patrick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 12:12am
Would you care to part with a charging bridge. IF not who sells the scoreless mounts.
The mk3 has a round receiver how would I get a scope mount positioned properly?
Patrick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 12:16am
Where would I find an optional scope mount. Most seem to rest level on the receiver and the charging bridge. The mk3 receiver Is round I think it would be difficult to install a side
Mount correctly.

Thank you
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 5:27am
These guys come highly recommended by many.
http://addleyprecision.com/

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 5:54am
Originally posted by Patrick R Patrick R wrote:

Would you care to part with a charging bridge. IF not who sells the scoreless mounts.
The mk3 has a round receiver how would I get a scope mount positioned properly?

Patrick R.
If you could post some pictures of the rifle,that would be very helpful to us that could offer you more insight as to what your dealing with. As far as correctly positioning a scope mount such as the one I posted here. Any competent gunsmith can put this on your rifle. The mount is designed with the round contour of the No1 in mind.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 6:21am
Shamu. I can tell you from recent experience Addley products are top notch. Patrick. I checked their site and they do have a mount for your tifle. It looks like it's side mounted with three screws, utilizing the ejector screw as one, requiring drill and tapping of two holes. As Goosic says, any competent gunsmith or tool and die guy could do. If it is an original butt stock, I strongly recommend a cheek piece, wether a permanent wood mount or removable, to adjust for "line of site". Might save a bit of blood from getting ringed!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic