Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The No5 Mk1 Tactical Scout Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The No5 Mk1 Tactical Scout Rifle
    Posted: April 23 2018 at 6:02pm
I have finished the rifle. The trigger pull has been smoothed out,the feed ramp,bolt,and raceway have been polished. The stock has been fully bedded. Low mount tactical scope rings have been added and topped with a 3-9x50 Mil Dot scope.
The interesting fact here is that,the rifle itself has not been irrevocably changed in any way. It can still be converted back to original condition.
Form follows function at it's finest...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 7:02pm
Very nice!
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 8:23am
Sweet rifle, trigger is nice and light. Well done.
Retired USAF, NRA life member
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 1:57pm
That's a good looking sporter Goosic. Any chance of a range report soon?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 2:11pm
Soon. Since it's an actual No5 Mk1,I will be very curious as to those pesky wandering zero reports I've heard about more often then not.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 2:31pm
I'd be curious what EXACTLY a "Wandering Zero" is first!
Everyone knows about it but no-one I've asked seems to be able to describe it in detail!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 2:52pm
I thought it was because of all the steel removed on the receiver to lighten the rifle. When firing several rounds, the heat would affect accuracy. Not sure if that's correct or not.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 6:03am
The way I see it there are 3 possibilities.
1: You zero on Monday, on Tuesday the zero is different.
2: As you shoot the zero drifts.
2a: It may, or may not return to the same zero as it cools down again.
3: Both of the above combined.

I've asked extensively but all I find are vague evasions, no-one seems to actually KNOW what "Wandering Zero" actually is.

My sported No5 Mk1 has none of them & it has all the lightening cuts. Plus not every No5 rifle suffered from it just to confuse the issue.
Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 6:19am
I've owned two number 5's. One scoped, the current one stock sites. I also have never experienced the "wandering zero." Maybe they were using the same rifle with different shooters?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 6:53am
This is what I was,"told".
The Wandering Zero was produced by excessive heating of the barrel during live fire tests and,upon cooling,the barrel never returned to it's original zeroed position. I heated the heck out of one of my No4's and got the barrel to move damn near everywhere except for where it needed to be.
I guess,just don't get the barrel so hot and you won't have the wandering zero problem...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 8:41am
Sounds like it was a government excuse to stop production of this fine battle carbine (albiet bolt action) and move towards a semi or auto military carbine.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 8:46am
By all the tales I've heard some had it but many didn't. Now as soon as it was reported the rifles with it went to the armorers to get it "fixed"! They either tweaked them till it went away or wrote them of as unservicable & stripped them for parts.

Because of that there was a kind of evolutionary survival of the fittest. What we have now ie the survivors of that evolutionary race!

I wonder how many didn't pass muster & how many did?
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 9:41am
Shamu. we may never know that number. I think as well that the barrel/action bedding was partly to blame. I have an unissued 1947 BSA #5 and when I got it home I checked out the trigger guard screws for tightness and found that the main screw was very tight yet the trigger guard rocked a bit. I removed the trigger guard screw and replaced the spacer with a shorter one and tightened it all back together then found the TG/fore end nice and tight. I have to think that when these rifles were new and some had the same condition I found with mine that the wandering zero would have shown it's face?   
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 2:10pm
Very possible the "King Screw" is critical for accuracy.
Min in its sporter stock is bedded at the receiver, bottom metal & bottom 1/3rd of the barrel for the first inch only. After that its completely free floated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic