Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is This Worth It? (No1 Mk3)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This Worth It? (No1 Mk3)
    Posted: April 24 2018 at 12:53pm
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and to collecting in general. I have always wanted an SMLE really badly, specifically one from around WW1. I found a seller that sounds promising What do you guys think of this:

It's a 1916 with an peddle scheme SSA reciever. The receiver has been drilled on the top for a sight, which is slightly upsetting. Only the receiver and barrel match, as this was rebuilt from a barreled receiver bought later. Full stock not sporterized. Apparently shoots well.

Asking price is $300 + $100 for a 1907 pattern bayonet. I was hoping to talk him down to $300 total. What do you guys think?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 1:57pm
Borderline.
The bolt not matching is a red flag, as are the drilled holes. Can you get a couple of pics?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 2:27pm
If you can talk him down to $300 total it would be okay. Still a bit high with a drilled receiver but not severely so since the SSA marked receivers demand a premium in any condition lately. Big question is what maker is the bayonet?
NuserAim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 2:36pm
NuserAim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 2:37pm
Sanderson. Has scabbard as well.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 4:10pm
i agree shamu & bear , the SSA receivers are rarer , ive yet to find a nice example , i too wonder at the bayo mfgr , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 5:23pm
One day I want to add an SSA and NRF to the collection but they don't come up often and when they do they are in poor condition with a crazy price tag. One day....
NuserAim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 6:22pm
My replies aren't being approved. Is this normal?
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 11:51pm
NuserAim,

All new members have a 20 post limit before being allowed to post without approval. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we have had to deal with a lot of spammers and found this to be the only way to remedy that problem.

Eric
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 5:00am
Nauser;

What claims does the seller have about the rifiling?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 5:35am
Where are these screw holes? I don't see them on the images?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
NuserAim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 6:05am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Nauser;

What claims does the seller have about the rifiling?
"The rifle shoots as it should and the bore is in good shape for the age. It is a little dark but has strong rifling in it."
NuserAim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Where are these screw holes? I don't see them on the images?
I haven't seen them yet at all. He claims they are very small. Also I talked him down to 300 and he never even tried to get more...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 6:17am
Something I don't like is how the striker fits in the cocking piece. The end of the striker should be close to flush with the back of the cocking piece and here it is screwed out quite a ways.
NuserAim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

Something I don't like is how the striker fits in the cocking piece. The end of the striker should be close to flush with the back of the cocking piece and here it is screwed out quite a ways.
That's fixable right? I arranged to go pick it up for 300 this weekend.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 8:24am
That is screwed in a long way! How is the lock screw even bearing on it?
Is it fixable, sure worst case you replace the cocking piece & the firing pin & fit for correct protrusion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic