Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help
    Posted: April 26 2018 at 1:41pm
Hi I’m Derek and I’m new to this sight I have just perchased a royal enfield I think it is a model 1 with a year date on it of 1897 but it has a lot of hallmarks on it is there any one out there who could help me with them I’m in Australia
And I’m having trouble loading up photos
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 9:03pm
when you can load photos it will help - we have ausies here that will help with that aspect , based on that date it is a long lee but i cannot give you more without seeing it , there are a multitude of possibilities because we dont know how you arived at that date at this point , 

if its that old its a mkI maybe but so many other possibilities , we need to see things to know , sounds to be a really interesting rifle to me , 

it is an ENFIELD , not 'royal enfield' - those are indian made motorcycles modeled after the BSA and triumph , but dont fret on these things , just know we have to know nomenclature accurately to get these things right to answer .  

oh and welcome to our merry band 
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 9:54pm
With an 1897 date it would have been made as a long Lee Enfield rather than an SMLE.

Do the markings have "L.E" stamped anywhere below where the bolt handle closes?
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 2:25pm

I’ve tried to add pics but this what happens I am so hopping it works
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 2:31pm
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 2:33pm
I’m so excited it worked and hopefully you cleaver people can help me work it out if there are any other pics you need me to take please let me know
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 4:32pm
Wow! you have a classic, Boer War era long Lee. It has the designation of "Lee Enfield Mark I". They are very rare (Rocking Horse Poop rare) in my part of the world so I will yield to the more informed.
Cheers and welcome from Texas
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 4:40pm
Sweet !

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 5:14pm
Very sweet find there. Congratulations...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 6:48pm
Ah man!!! Its always "THE OTHER GUY!!"
How come I never come across this stuff??

Nice catch! I'm envious.

Welcome to the asylum
Loose wimmen tightened here
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 7:35pm
Now then Derek,  Welcome!!

Nice rifle!  You seem to only be missing the rear volley sight and handguard.
How long's the barrel?
I ask, as it seems to have had a No 1 Mk 111 barrel fitted.  The rear sight is not as it should be for a Long Lee, and neither is the front one.  (See pic below)

What's the bore like?  Again, the " R" on the knox form May mean rust in the bore (at one time, anyway!)
How does the Range Pattern fore-end fit to the barrel?  Is the bedding very slack?
  Normally the Range Pattern was cut down from the Long Lee, so the thinner No 1 Mk 111 barrel is a sloppy fit.  If this is the case, you just need a chopped Long Lee barrel.  There should be plenty down there.
If you could show us the fore-end cap from the front, we will be able to say if it the stock  is correct for the barrel.
Sparkbrook pretty hard to find. 
Yes, it'll clean up nicely, and should maske a good shooter!

Rear sight, handguard, and dust cover on my old 1896 BSA;
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 8:22pm
it looks really nice to me , the rear volley should be findable and the handgard as well - there are reproductions being made that are near perfect , looks to have a 4MD marking on the knox that would indicate time in austrailian home guard , 

you will need a nice P1888 bayonet to dress her up a bit , 
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 9:05pm
Your rifle looks to be a Magazine Lee Enfield "long" rifle, which has had an SMLE barrel fitted, possibly for full-bore range shooting.

From the markings, has served with the NSW Naval Brigade, and later in South Australia (4MD) with the CMF, rather than the VDC.

I have a very similar range pattern Sparkbrook rifle, except mine has a Mk 1 SMLE barrel and sight fitted.
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 10:25pm

I was down the rifle range today so my son could shoot his 22 and there was a Anzac Day shoot on with a heap of people with old Enfield rifles most around ww2 vintage I wish I had taken my Enfield down but only had the photos that I shared here and there was one gentleman I was talking too and he had a look at the photos and he believes it has had the original barrel removed and replaced with a Lithgow barrel this was done by the Australia army at the Lithgow armoury before issue for ww1
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 5:58am
Max,

You think like me about the barrel.
Can you tell me if range pattern fore-ends were made to take  SMLE barrels, as well as the original but cut back Long Lee barrels?  I have never heard of any but you will know most likely!
I have a Range pattern fore-end sitting about, and it is for the Long Lee barrel.

A-Square,
The 1888 bayonet won't fit on an SMLE barrel.....too thin.

Best,
R.
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 3:01pm
I’m not sure what you mean about the range barrel for ends can you show me a pic so know where to take a pic for you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic