Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

South African marked No4Mk1? (I have pics!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeportalstabilizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South African marked No4Mk1? (I have pics!)
    Posted: April 29 2018 at 11:02pm
he!!o. I'm looking at buying a #4 mk 1 with an 11/48 date code, made by the 'F' arsenal, and it's said to be South African marked. I've done some research and found the arrow within the U proves that, in addition to the SAN on the butt plate of the stock (please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that). What dosent add up to me is that the 4 digit # on the butt plate (after SAN) dosent match the serial on the receiver//bolt/stock. However, all the other serials match. There's also the letters U and S stamped into the stock (I think the U might have a very faint arrow stamped within it). Here's my questions now:

-Is the 4 digit number on the butt plate supposed to match the other parts of the rifle? (Butt plate reads SAN2312 and rifle and other parts are all PF 56863)

-Is it common for there to be nothing inside the compartment of the butt plate?

-What is that small diamond shaped marking on the topside of the butt plate?

-What would the S stand for on the stock? (Right next to one of the arrows and U's)

-Is there anything else I should know about these South African marked lee enfields?

-Does the SAN mean it was for the South African navy, and not Army? (For example, if SAN is what naval rifles have stamped, what would the army rifles have?)

-HOW MUCH do these South African marked rifles go for these days?

-(Not pertaining to South African marked lee enfields) Why would a Long Branch #4mk1 have the name 'Long Branch' completely crossed out? And how much would one of these kinds of Long Branches go for?

THANKS

Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 6:28pm
yes, you have a South African Navy owned rifle.   I have one built the following month, also Faz.  I believe the SAN number on the but  to be a rack or SAN specific number.  It will not match the other serial numbers.

I purchased mine for $300, but that was 8 years ago.  I suppose if I were to sell mine now, I would ask....not for sale.   Wink

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 4:18am
I believe the "S" on the stock is for the length of the butt; in this case "short".

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Vratvark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vratvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 5:16am
Broad arrow within U = Union acceptance mark
Diamond within U = sold out of service
SAN = South African Navy
4 digits = rack number
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 5:36am
I believe the "S" (short) designation marker was larger & on the top of the stock. At least it is on my '55 Faz. I'm not sure what the smaller one on the wrist is indicating.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 12:40pm
thats a correct PF serial number for '48 from Fazakerely , if all of those numbers match its all original , ypou have the answerds to the "S" and SAN# , the other markings and pruces , 

as to the buttrap its not uncommon to find them empty , that kit has value sold seperate as a sling would , you can find replacements easily , either the brass or plastic [bakelite] units would be correct for this vintage and you will need a pull through , 
on the SA rifle i would be inclined to the blade style socket bayo , first variation is of the 48-62 vintage or the 2nd variation spear point were manufactured in SA in the 60s and looks like the US no4 or israeli uzi ,  rather than the spike but either is correct , sling is the standard webb , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 2:10pm
If you build a butt kit to use, not for completeness, get the brass oil bottle & prepare to replace the leather "O" ring with a rubber one from home Despot! I never found a transparrent, or Bakelite one that didn't leak.
Wink
Many get one, but don't use it for oil, instead they keep a spare extractor spring, a length of dental floss & one or two other small parts in there.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 3:04pm
umm..theres oil in my brass oiler. Methinks it may be original stuff - it looks really old.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 5:42am
It probably is, its not like oil expires or anything.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 6:16am
really dark, smelly & brown.
I take the oiler out every now & then & shine it up.
Looks great..then its back into it's cave where its not seen.(Bit of a waste of time, actually)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 9:02am
Does it smell of a kind of creosote & disinfectant mix?
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Does it smell of a kind of creosote & disinfectant mix?

My SAN  rifle sure did.  I de-creosoted (I just turned a noun into a verb) it using the black garbage bag in the hot sun method.  
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 1:42pm
There used to be a British cleaner (not oil) called "Young's .303", For decades it was the standard British military solvent & civvies shooters used it too. It was thick & brown, like he describes. To use it you'd dilute some with water in a 3:2 mix wet a patch from a 4X2 roll & use a pull through. 3 wet 3 dry & then oil. The oil & water mix was called "Aquoil"! It looked like hot chocolate for both color & thickness.
It also had a distinctive creosote/disinfectant smell.
It was excellent stuff, but has been unavailable for a long time.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic