Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

& So it begins, again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 2:03pm
Wow! Never had that problem.
Then again I'm not composting "normally".
Usually you add a bit at a time, but I recycled an entire years worth of soil, plant material & dead brown stuff in one, giant shot! Then I let it decompose slowly over the entire winter.

Was you pile somehow rotting instead of decomposing? Its a fairly common problem. Some things (like meats) should never go in the composter because they break down differently.
Dead

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 3:23pm
Manitoba, Canada. Just checked my garden. Radishes (seed tape) up! Onions (from a set) up! I'm hoping my early cold weather crop of Swiss Chard and Peas should be popping up within the week. Will plant beets and lettuce on May 15th, beans and cukes on May Long Wkd, tomatoes the next weekend after that. Weather permitting...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 8:22pm
im not composting "normal" im not at all normal most of the time 

i have a slight gully behind a lot of greenery -junipers= they camouflage what is happening , i dump all my leaves and grass clippings - builds up each season[fall -summer] then sinks back every spring , been doing it for near 30 years now , ive not tried digging in the bottom yet - never needed to - but bet its really rich , it gets the rain that nature gives it , not a lot of coffee grounds and vegetable waste but some - occasional dead bird or squirrel , a couple dead fish over those years , i add the ash from my fire ring occasionally - every couple years or so , 

im certain my situation is not for those that really compost , they would pay attention to it and use it , im more filling in a ravine , but i know i have it if needed and its out of the way/convenient/out of sight , i dont need to use the local  landfill and im not burning any of it - not that i subscribe to the human contribution to climate change in any way ---hawaii is currently naturally contributing to that with no human control 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 2:57am
I'm told that fire-pit / fireplace ash is very acidic. Not good for much
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 6:53am
Just the opposite its very basic, but too much of that is a bad thing too.
It does have a lot of potassium in it though so its good for certain plants only.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_ash
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 7:04am
Ash will do your garden good Hoadie.  just spread it about .

Here we still have the remains of snow in sheltered spots. Nowt planted in garden, but some fields cultivated and hayland harrowed -mole-floated.
Had problems with ravens on sister's land!
As soon as I set moletraps,  the  sods pull them out to see if there's a mole to eat!
Never had this problem before.  They could pull them out as fast as I put them in. Shot 2 or 3 but they still kept doing it. The stick with a flag on didn't deter them.  Had to cover the traps (already buried in the ground) with paper and they pulled that off as well, but old rags over the traps seem to keep them off.  Sods.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 8:28am
We used to get .10 for a left Ravens foot, .05 for s crows. We'd stack up the dead gophers we'd just trapped (.10 a tail) and set traps around the pile. Worked every time for the "friends of Poe".
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 11:35am
Pukka:
For an afternoon of fun..get a good owl replica. Stick it on a pole. Sit in a lawn chair nearby, with your shotgun(s) & blast away.
I don't think ravens like owls very much, so they'll turn their attention to the decoy.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 4:42pm
We'd get 5 pennies (not Pence) for every rooks head.
"If you see 10 crows together they're rooks. If you see on rook on his own he's a crow".
Thumbs Up

"Water Rats" (not Water Voles) were our ammo money spinner. We'd get a "bob a pop" (an old shilling) for every one we killed from the local fishing club.

Then we'd sell the pelts for 3 times that! I was an Olympic level Water Rat Skinner for several years as a teen.
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/graphics1/coypuvsrat.jpg

Never tell the Mrs what "Winter Mink" is, hint!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 5:42pm
Humph..whaddya know? I always thought that a buncha crows was a "murder".
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

"If you see 10 crows together they're rooks. If you see on rook on his own he's a crow".
Thumbs Up

"Water Rats" (not Water Voles) were our ammo money spinner. We'd get a "bob a pop" (an old shilling) for every one we killed from the local fishing club.

Then we'd sell the pelts for 3 times that! I was an Olympic level Water Rat Skinner for several years as a teen.

Shamu , Down her there used to be a lot of trapping for them, we call them Nutria down here, now days there is a $5 bounty on them , you bring in the tails to get paid .... seen a couple some time ago, one in my back pasture and one down the road, we shot the one down the road , but I was not able to get the one in the pasture... he hit the water to fast before I got my pistol out of holster !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 6:22pm
I think European & American Rooks, Crows & maybe even Ravens are different birds?
Perhaps the colonists originally saw something familiar in a strange (to them) land & gave them the same name.
Take the robin, for example:
European robin:

Short chubby little sparrow-sized winter bird.
American Robin:

Totally different animal.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 9:03pm
Sham,

The rooks had bald skin around the base of the beak as well.  I loved the sounds of a rookery in spring!
We don't get them over here.

Yes, I miss the real robin as well, and song-thrush and blackbird.  Nothing sings like a blackbird after a thunder shower.   Songthrush was beautiful as he sang at dusk.

Now I'm off to cry in the beer I don't have!

Started on moles at sister's place Thursday, and hav e49 up to now, even with fighting the ruddy ravens.

Hoadie,   Good idea on the owl!   Get me own back on them!

I set some traps baited with moles, (pocket gophers ) and they didn't like the look of them, and got wary of my regular mole traps as well!  Not touched any traps today. Mind, I have  pieces of rag laid over them. Never had to do that before!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 6:29am
Yes. This is an English rook.
https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/data/527/rook45.jpg
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 6:33am
& this a Carrion Crow
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Carrion_Crow_(Corvus_corone)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_658585.jpg
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 6:37am
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Thumbs Up

Shamu , Down her there used to be a lot of trapping for them, we call them Nutria down here, now days there is a $5 bounty on them , you bring in the tails to get paid .... seen a couple some time ago, one in my back pasture and one down the road, we shot the one down the road , but I was not able to get the one in the pasture... he hit the water to fast before I got my pistol out of holster !!!

Yup that's them, pairs of holes with an underwater entrance as well. You had to be very stealthy or all you'd see is muddy swirls. Tough buggers as well, we used .22RF & they'd take a couple of shots even with good placement!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic