Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A new (to me) pointy bit for the 1914 ShtLE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new (to me) pointy bit for the 1914 ShtLE
    Posted: May 09 2018 at 7:23am
Well I dun did it.

Won a Pat 07 Bayonet off e-pay!

I've been looking for one to fit the ShtLE & this looks like a suitable candidate in well used but not beat to heck condition. Sheath leather looks like it needs a little help, but we'll see. My neatsfoot oil (not compound) & a little black shoe polish should work wonders.

Paid US$ 125 shipped so I think I did all right.

Sorry about poor pics will post better when it arrives. These are copied & stitched together from e-pay's page.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 8:18am
Looks good there and the price is decent. Once I get my gun room unpacked and settled I have to start looking for some bits like this.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 8:31am
I was pleased with the result, I was playing 3 vendors off against each other. They were all asking $140~$150 + shipping & I got it down to $125 shipped so I'm happy.
Can anybody tell me a bit more bout the markings?

I see:
(a very faint) Kings crown
9XXXX17 (X's are blank spaces)
on one side & on the other:
A broad arrow & 3 proofs, or inspectors marks.
No makers mark that I can see though, is that odd?

The sheath has the early "teardrop" frog button, which is nice.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 1:41pm
Shamu, have a close look below the date stamp ; which is the 9   17 (September 1917). I bet you may see a faint "SANDERSON" stamp there. 
The X is the bend/flex test pass stamp I believe. 
Looks like a nice example. 
Here's a photo of my Sanderson 1907. Made in October 1917.

and my Sanderson 1907 made January 1908 and refitted in 1921

Both of these have "teardrop " type scabbards.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 2:37pm
Thanks!
I thought it was a poorly stamped broad arrow, but yes it could be a poor "X" as well.
I'll check & take better pics when it arrives.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 8:21pm
yes the "X" is the bending proof , it looks like a nice find - cannot see well enough to ID , i think ZED may be correct , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 6:08am
Interesting, your blade seems blued, mine seems to have had most of the blue removed. I remember reading somewhere the blades were originally blue but were then changed to a brushed satin & finally to smooth, not polished steel.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 11:41am
The refurbished one is blued, the 1917 one is not. I'll try and get some proper photos over the weekend to post.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 12:04pm
Interestingly I've just read an article on these 1907 model bayonets; in which the author states that the blades where left in the white (untreated) steel during wartime production; but were sand blasted to dark grey during refurbishment after WWI. So maybe I need to take a closer look. To be honest i got the refurbed one about 6 years ago, so haven't really studied it lately or compared it properly to the 1917 made one.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 2:16pm
Yes, that sounds like the same reference. I honestly don't remember all the details, but something was blued somewhere by someone!
Wacko
my rifle is a 1914 that was FTR'd in 1944, At least we assume so because the FTR has no date but its a 1944 BBl, so just about anything will be PC/HC!
Big smile
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 4:44pm
they were in the white till after the war , the refurbs were were treaded differently depending on where done , but in general blued of a sort , some just in the handle area , unlike the WWII era when complete phosphate was typical  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 5:37am
Interesting I have a No9 which is black paint (Suncorite again?) with a bare metal blade
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 9:27am
I got a pair of No9 bayonets in a job lot last year. One is Suncorite and one is Parkerised.
Not sure who made what. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 12:40pm
OK I guess the standard wasn't as uniform as we thought!
Embarrassed

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 11:23am
Decided to take out both 1907 bayonets and have a proper look. Realised that I'd made an error in my earlier post. The 1917 made one also has a repair date! 1927. See photos. There are quite a few differences in the finish; black handle on the 1921 repair and "white" metal on the 27. Screws wrong way round in one; not sure which is correct. 

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 12:52pm
the blade sockets were made in the white again , both of those shown are correct as made , i was refering to the P07s 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic