Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alexandra's first Enfield shot's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexandra's first Enfield shot's
    Posted: May 14 2018 at 12:05pm
I went to the shooting club with my 7 year old daughter on Saturday. She was spotting the target for me while I practiced with my No8 rifle. Then she asked me if she could shoot it. 
So I decided it was a good time for here first .22 experience. Put the rifle resting on the kit bag; and set up for the 25 metre gongs.
Got her comfortable and took some time to explain what she need's to see through the sights. 
The first shot dropped the gong! Super! missed the next four, then got 3 out of 5 in the second series of 5.
Ended up with 5 gong's dropped for 15 shot's. A great start; considering I'd left the sights at my 50 metre setting.
She was really pleased; especially that important first shot. Next time I'll set up the second rifle for 25 metre's and bring the sand  bag rest.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 1:13pm
super fun , always love seeing the smiles on their faces when that first one is off , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 2:17pm
Oohh careful there, soon it'll be "her rifle", not yours!
Evil Smile
"But Papa, I ALLWAYS use this one now!
*insert cute pout*.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 3:16pm
Well done! Keep the interest up!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 11:24pm
Luckily Shamu I have 2 No8's for just such a problem! It has the short stock as well; but I'll probably need to find a "bantam" stock for the No8, which may be difficult.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 5:43am
Good planning!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 6:17am
nice to see her wearing ear defenders, as well.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 12:15pm
We always wear ear defenders at the club. 
She is wearing my new ones with built microphone so she can hear what I'm saying.  Vitally important when teaching a youngster to shoot.
She's been coming to the range since she was 2 years old and knows the rules.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 12:39pm
good on ya!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 12:30pm
So this last weekend we went shooting as a family. Alexandra was keen to have another go.
Took along my only none Enfield rifle; it's a CZ455 Thumbhole with Tasco scope and decided to try bench rest (well one sandbag and a chair).
I had to tune in the sight's due to change of ammo; so my first 5 shot's were a walk in from the outer edge to the centre. Set up 3 target's, one each. My wife got highest score! Seem's that our daughter has inherited some of her talent.
All the rifles are too big for my daughter, but this is a little easier for her than the No8. it was also the first time on target's at 50 metres. Very pleased with the result's. She has a problem closing her left (dominant) eye, so need to shade out some glasses to make it easier for her.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 1:31pm
For a first rifle that's still way too big for her she did well.
Are the child sized "Cricket" rifles available there?
Get a pair of clip-on sunglasses &  remove the right lens!
That way she can just flip it up when not shooting!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 5:13pm
I love seeing these pictures, Zed. It takes me back to my childhood with my dad teaching me how to shoot. Those are treasured memories and I am certain your daughter will one day look back at these moments in the same fashion.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 10:07pm
now thats a look of concentration i see , i still remember my dad bringing home the 1915 BSA mkIII and letting me shoot it with that surplus ammo he bought - it was so covered in verdigree that i had to spend hours cleaning enough for the shooting sessions , it went bang , most of the time , i learned of flinching , and of the pause - sometimes with the surprise bang after the click , what a great memory , thank you , its where i fell in love with the enfield rifle 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 12:12pm
On Saturday we had another family day at the range. It was Alexandra's 4th time out with the CZ .22
using the sandbag rest. Quite a noticeable improvement over the first target in June.
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 12:28pm
I remember those early days. Way to go teaching them early. I'm thinking that if more folks learned early about gun safety then we might have less problems in this world. 
Good to see young folks on the range. 

Later 42rocker
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 6:21pm
im impressed with her continued interest , often that is lost as time goes by , i think you are raising her right and giving her a bit of knowledge that will serve well in future years , if for nothing else the full understanding that shooting IS NOT BAD , it is good fpor so many reasons , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic