Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lithgow collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithgow collection
    Posted: May 20 2018 at 5:19am
Hey all here is some pics of my lithgow collection thus far 1913 serial number 160this one is getting restored at the moment , 1914 serial is x5669 ( English rebuilt in ww1 hence the x prefix) no volley sights but served in both wars no FTR on both 1921 serial is A91256 all matches but has been converted to Jungle Carbine no USA marks but lots of British stamps please see included pictures England stamped on left side below the safety spring.
I have recently purchased another old war horse 1916 with volley sights cut of etc no dial on the volley sight plate. Which I will have to find to bring back to original.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 6:36am
Some more Lithgows, T/B:

Mk.III       (1916)             Mk.III (T)
Mk.III*     (1942)             No.2 Mk.IV*
Mk.III G/L (1941)             Factory Conversion .22 Hornet

smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 3:18pm
Nice collection I am restoring the 13 right now with correct volley sights , mag cut off , I have a lightened unnumbered nose cap had new wood made in Canada for the forend and uppers , in the process of fitting them up now and away I go . Bought a 16 and picking it up Friday can’t wait . Being an Aussie expat love my Aussie rifles
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 1:02pm
Here is the latest addition to the collection a 1916 mk111 served both wars still has volley sight plate will need to source a mag cut off and rear peep sight.got to finish off the 1913 first before I touch this one but all matching receiver barrel & bolt .got a bayonet and 100 rounds as well .
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 2:20pm
For someone just starting out collecting lithgows, your certainly starting at the harder end in years, and going pretty well too.
You could restore this rifle back to how it was originally, but it’s orobably about right now. Volley sights, cutoff were removed as standard practice. Can you take a picture of the butt and barrel, rear sight. Also the nose cap is lightened, is it a match? If it’s not messed with already I’m inclined to leave them as they are.
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 2:35pm
Homer the nose cap has no serial no’s on it at all other than a lithgow stamp the rear sight is windage adjustable but has been pinned has newer sight protector from OA . Not messed with to much but a good prospect to return to ridge didge.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 3:45pm
That’s my point mate. It’s not messed with, it’s pretty much how it was when sold from service by the look of it from these photos. So anything you do to it now is just reversing its history. You could put volley sights and cut off on easily but they would contradict the butt and nosecap. Also the repair/stores dates on the forend and butt. The blackened finish, ground off dial plate, pinned windage sight and 7/44 date are classic service upgrades. With those could be any number of other changes, in this case butt and nosecap. It doesn’t have to be returned to its original state to be collectable and anyone who really appreciates and understands the processes of how these rifles evolved through the system will know it’s been messed with even though you think your restoring it. It’s collectable as it is and tells a story. Change it and the story is lost.
Of course it’s your rifle to do as you please, I only offer another point of view.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 4:10pm
Is it a 30’s dated barrel?
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 4:56pm
No original 1916 barrel no new dates stamped in there at all
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 9:12pm
Is the rear sight matching?
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 5:42pm
Yes. Both sight and base are serial numbered correctly

Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by smerdon42 smerdon42 wrote:

Yes. Both sight and base are serial numbered correctly

That’s interesting, good one. The T on the sight base indicates tapered cross pin that was done in the 30’s, probably when it was upgraded to Mk7. Good seeing them still matching after this.
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 5:41pm
Homer i am planning on cleaning here up with a full break down and cleaning from head to toe , had to get a new extractor and screw it was missing those then headspace it with it fully functional it passed field no problem at all will have to look at bolt head size to see if i can bring it back closer to go/ nogo . But I have to finish up the Resto on my 1913 first i have fitted up the forestock with hardware IE volley sights , nose cap front band and all the extras . Will sand down the stock stain and clean it up oils it and back comes a piece of good old Aussie history. Another rifle my WW1 relatives shot at the enemy in the trenches of France and the deserts of the middle east
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic