Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have Fallen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have Fallen
    Posted: June 08 2018 at 6:56pm
I just won a Romanian SKS on Gunbroker  I hope to pick it up from my friendly FFL in a week or so.
Well at least it still has a wood stock.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 9:43pm
That isn't falling, it's investing. Those Romanian SKS's are hard to find in good shape and will only increase in value. I say good on you. I do like the SKS myself. I have owned a few very nice Yugoslavian 59/66A1's I wish I had back. They are stout and accurate little rifles.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 6:54am
There are two Russian SKS in my locker as we speak.

I find them very accurate, lightweight, & powerful.

& ammo is inexpensive
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 7:55am
Im the one who has fallen !!!  LOL!!! years ago when you could get the Yugo SKS rifles for around $60 , I called my Rep at Century Arms looking for one for an old Army Bud of mine...My Rep then told me I should take a loan out and buy all the SKS rifles they have left, because they cant get anymore imported ... He told me that if I bought the whole lot, I could get the rifles for around $35 each !!  I wish I would have did that now ... seeing them going for $300 plus now , same thing with the 91/30 Mosins ... could have bought a lot of them back when for around $50 each... they are selling for up to $250 to $350 now !!!!!    I dont even want to talk about Enfield prices then and now !!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 9:45am
2 SKS rifles in my locker as well (both Russian Tula's). I just shot one of them a few days ago at the range. I had installed after market iron sights and tuned it in. Nice accurate rifle especially now with the new sights. I also shot one of my 1891/30's the same day. Again with an after market front sight, trigger kit and trigger slack spring. I also installed stainless steel pillars and brass shims where the wood meets the metal, now the whole package is super solid and after 40 rounds of 185 grain FMJ's I have a nice big black and blue bruise on my right shoulder, LOL. 1891/30's are brutal in the recoil department but accurate and very hard hitting. Still, I much prefer my Lee Enfields!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 4:26pm
I wanted a Russian but of late they are in the $700+ on Gun Broker
Have a Nice Day
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 5:44pm
$700+? Wow I'm floored. And in US funds obviously?.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 6:46pm
Yep USD  some of the mint ones have a buy now of over $1000!
Have a Nice Day
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

2 SKS rifles in my locker as well (both Russian Tula's). I just shot one of them a few days ago at the range. I had installed after market iron sights and tuned it in. Nice accurate rifle especially now with the new sights. I also shot one of my 1891/30's the same day. Again with an after market front sight, trigger kit and trigger slack spring. I also installed stainless steel pillars and brass shims where the wood meets the metal, now the whole package is super solid and after 40 rounds of 185 grain FMJ's I have a nice big black and blue bruise on my right shoulder, LOL. 1891/30's are brutal in the recoil department but accurate and very hard hitting. Still, I much prefer my Lee Enfields!

Buddy, if you think the 91/30 kicks ..... Try bench rest with the M-44 or the 91/59 or even the M-38 mosins !!! LOL!!  them shorter versions pack a wallop when bench rest shooting !!! ask my daughter !  if you look on my face book you will find a video of her shooting the M-44 with 198 grain heavy ball ....Forgive her french after firing it though !!! LOL!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 8:30pm
I will, Rhino! Sounds like a whole lotta fun.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 9:53pm
I have one SKS, and son and daughter both have one.

Below, daughter firing her M 91 Finn VKT, and her Snider -Enfield.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 5:30am
I had an M38 and M44 once upon a time and they will beat up on you with heavy ball. I would compare them to the No 5 in terms of recoil. With the right ammo you get really big fireballs out the end of the barrel too. It's a hoot!

As for the SKS, I do want to get a couple again some day. Prices are shocking though. The last Russian SKS I saw at a gun show was priced at $500 and it was in very rough shape. Even the Yugoslavian rifles are way up there now.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 6:24am
Bear,

You are right about the fireball!
I think I posted photos a while ago showing my son's M44 and the fireball.  (He calls it "Fireball!)  :-)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 8:41pm
i still have one - chi-com , russians were helping in their plants in 69 , it never made it to VN but its of that era , the chinese were shipping lots to them at that point , mine still has the blade bayo as opposed to the spike , the stock is cut differently for the blades , 

unlike bear ive never looked at these as anything but minute of man rifles , mine may be far more accurate than i am but i think its not ever going to be anything more than a combat carbine that was reliable and efficient ,mine has the box mag it came with - no modifications made , 

it shoots well within the limits ive outlined above , i wont be parting with it or the spam cans of ammo i acquired since i bought it - i paid more than rhino [i traded it for one of my indian enfields] but i was happy - am happy and will retain that till my son decides he no longer needs the vestiges of that era in his collection , i keep it with my M16 type rifle and that russian 95 revolver that was popular there as well , 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic