Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canadian No7 Mag in RN N9 trainer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie Parks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadian No7 Mag in RN N9 trainer
    Posted: July 02 2018 at 4:17am
I have finally managed, with help, to track down and acquire a a new old stock magazine from a Canadian No7 to use in my RN N9 .22 trainer. Despite having been told it would not function properly I am delighted to be able to report that it functions perfectly. bearing in mind that it is a loading platform not a magazine. Cartridges placed on the platform and pushed forward by hand chamber perfectly and the empties fall as intended into the well at the rear of the housing. Placing a round loose on the tray and closing the bolt does not work, but all in all a super improvement.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 7:41pm
OK - im in over my head here i guess - the canadian Cno7s were single shots and both of mine were , i do not have a british no 7 ....yet , the british no7s had magazines and are difficult to find , i think they sometimes had issues but thats based on years ago exchanges that i can no longer verify , 

SO - which canadian 22 trainer had a magazine ? and where did you get it ? what are the markings and how did you determine it to be canadian ? 

not trying to be a jerk here - maybe ive missed something i should know 

cooey ,ight have made a magazine trainer for canada ive never heard of but i kinda doubt it - i have the cooey trainer i know of , its also a single shot , 
Eddie Parks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie Parks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 2:40am
As I said in my original post "it is a loading platform not a magazine". However to make everything crystal clear. 

The Canadian No7 was indeed a single shot rifle which had a dummy magazine clearly marked up on the left side "22". The internal spring mechanism remained in place but instead of holding a column of .22 rounds the follower was replaced by a loading platform which allows the shooter to place a round on it and then slide it forward into the chamber without having to look to see where it is. When the bolt is opened the empty case falls through a opening and is retained within the she!! of the magazine.

So to answer your questions, the magazine/loading platform was made and fitted to the Canadian No7 .22 trainer. I got it from a Canadian source. Its only marking is a quite large 22 on the left side.

I would post photos, but I am afraid the forum system has completely defeated me.

Eddie

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie Parks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 4:25am
Further to my last, you need to read this: http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.7-C.html which will hopefully dispel your doubts (and allow me to stop trying to understand how to post pix here!!).

In it you will find a description of the C No7 "magazine" along with the photos needed to ID it. The example shown is exactly like the one now fitted in my RN No9.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 5:57am
Eddie if you want to just e-mail the pics to me let me know & I'll sort the forum out for you.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 8:10pm
now i get what you are saying , and yes mine both my longbranch trainers had the clearly marked 22 with the feed ramp - i will be honest here and say i do not know if it collects brass but i think not , i will pull the one i have left in the next few days and see if it does but my recollection is it feeds the round but the brass is ejected , my earlier trainers had no box - the well was open , but they sometimes could be fitted with an empty box that would collect the brass - those had no feed ramp tho they were empty she!!s , they came from production with no mag - so if one has it they were a later adaptation , not in service item , like my Cond II - it has one , came with it , is marked as 22 but the rifle did not come with that when converted , 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 10:24pm
Non of the trainers officially came with an empty mag body to catch the empty she!!s until 1924 with the introduction of the Sht.22 mkIV*. 
But it was a common thing to add one to the earlier trainers.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 7:14am
Eddies pics:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 7:14am
one more:
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie Parks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 8:17am
Thank you, you can clearly see the opening down which the empty cases disappear. I'm not sure how many it will hold but it certainly coped with a string of 20.

Eddie
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 12:01pm
That's interesting, and surely helps with loading. The No8 has a solid loading platform that works well; but my No2MkIV* has just an empty mag;probably similar to your original configuration;  that can be tricky to load without actually looking at what your doing.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie Parks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 3:52am
Absolutely, I found that I could not reload without taking the butt out of my shoulder. And on a shady firing point when my eyes were adjusted to bright light down range I couldn't even see the chamber! Now I can reload without having to look at what I am doing.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 3:18pm
really nice setup , 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 7:26pm
i saw you on rimfire central i think , i hope that help was better than mine , i missunderstood the original post and my Cno7 is not so easily accessible as it used to be so pulling it out was not that high on the priority at the time , glad you have what you wanted 
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 4:11am
Wait until you get an empty case that doesn't fall into the magazine, but instead chooses to bounce further back and jam in the boltway or under the sear.   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie Parks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 11:09am
Dear oh me, what a killjoy you are! How often has that happened to you and why would the "magazine' change make any difference.

I'll bet your glass is always half empty?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic