Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there an Engineer in the room?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 12:07pm
Hey, NEVER apologize for a picture of a Velocette! 

I'm agonizing right now trying to decide to buy a 1970 Venom Clubman currently up for sale; it is in exceptional condition and only 1600 miles on the clock.  And, it was one of the machines that my Dad had ordered from the factory that he kept, but never ran, for about 10 years.  This bike sat in a museum until around 1999 or 2000.  The second owner got it running and sorted out. 

1968 Venom Thruxton

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 5:57am
Nice bikes.  :-)

Going back to heavier bullets shooting higher;
The 215 gr shoots higher still, higher than the 180 gr.   Barrel harmonics and all that.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 6:13am
I wonder if it is consistent? Meaning, if I shot a controlled load batch of 180's and 150's, would the height difference on the target remain constant? Something you could log, adjust scope clicks for elevation, and then just a simple and quick matter of scope adjustment if you change from 150's to 180's or visa versa in the field?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 6:20am
Yes absolutely. You could "click in & out for zero", but the trajectory will be different at long range so you'll need to memorize or shoot & take notes for that.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 9:36am
What has this to do with Velocette motorcycles.....Wink
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 12:12pm
Shamu... as always, thank you. I sight my .303's, regardless of bullet weight, at 2" high @ 100 yds. I have a 'zero point" graph, so know roughly where the bullet will hit a 10" vital zone and the yardage. Example, if my 150's are sighted in at 2" high @ 100, I believe I can aim dead on at approx 225 yds and still be in that kill zone. 180's probably 200 yds. I used to put them 4" high @ 100 yds while sighting in, which stretches that "zero point" approx another 40 yds, but found I was hitting whitetail high up. Not in the lungs, but in the spine. Ruining top quality meat.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 1:39pm
Are you familiar with something called "MPBR" (Minimum Point Blank Range)?
Basically you decide on a viable "bullseye size" (about 6" for a deer) where a hit anywhere in that area ensures a clean kill.
It will obviously vary be the size & nature of a target animal's vital area.
Now you figure out the closest & furthest point at which the rounds trajectory allows it to be in that area, initially rising up, then level then dropping back through the continuing arc till it drops to the lowest point of contact. Now come out from the closest distance  the point where the projectile is crossing down through the center line & set a center bull hold at that distance. his allows you a "center hold" over the maximum possible range. (see the diagram below if this is gibberish)

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/10-inch-kill-zone.gif

My .303 with a 150 gr @ 2450 FPS is a surprising 265 yds! Its good from about 15 yds to almost 350.
Much more detailed info here, give it a look.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 1:51pm
Of course since I bought the Leatherwood ART it does all that for me, but I still set it & forget it at 275d mark in case I need a quick shot with no fumbling & twiddling of range/power cams!
Wink

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 2:47pm
Shamu, every time I see this rifle of yours' I get a hankering for that scope!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 3:28pm
Shamu. That is the chart I was referring too. I called it something different. I used to site my 150's at 4" @ 100 yds knowing they would still hit a kill zone at 265, but as most of my recent whitetails were taken within 100 yds, I was hitting high.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

What has this to do with Velocette motorcycles.....Wink

Exactly, what’s all this external ballistics discussion about?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 5:17am
An optimist says "the glass is 1/2 full." A pessimist says "the glass is 1/2 empty." An engineer says " the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 1:47pm
This little story reveals much of my opinion of the Engineer and the Program Manager:

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised my friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below says: "Yes. You are in a hot air balloon, hovering approximately 30 feet above this field. You are between 40 and 42 degrees N. latitude, and between 58 and 60 degrees W. longitude."

"You must be an engineer," says the balloonist.

"I am," replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost.

"The man below says, "You must be a manager."

"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," says the man, "you don't know where you are, or where you are going. You have made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are in the exact same position you were in before we met, but now it is somehow my fault."

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 8:37pm
thats a great norton - i never tire of seeing it , makes me feel young again and not much does that these days 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic