Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked neck- worst case scenario?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked neck- worst case scenario?
    Posted: August 06 2018 at 12:29pm
I've recently dialed back my rigorous bore cleaning regimen to only using Hoppes 9 out of my nitro rifles.  I'm going to try this for a while and see how the accuracy is affected.  I had been using Boretech Eliminator to get ALL the copper out after every time I shoot.  It worked, the .30-06 barrel I returned to Criterion they commented on how free of copper fouling it was for having shot several thousand rounds thru it. 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 8:41am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

Also. Cordite requires a particular procedure when cleaning the bore. Boiling water. How many of us do that these days?

Everytime I shoot my pattern '53.

The same here with my Remington Rolling Block smoke pole. 2 X 43 Egyptian... 1 X 50/70 New York Militia and 4 X 12.7mm Swedish.

That is why I generally shoot 3.3 or 7.62 Enfield's.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 7:41am
I also use HOT water to flush the bore on the Snider and Martini Henry which I shoot only black powder.  Very effective.  Primers are non-corrosive in my reloads.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

Also. Cordite requires a particular procedure when cleaning the bore. Boiling water. How many of us do that these days?

Everytime I shoot my pattern '53.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 6:04am
If it was Brit & Mk 7 it was corrosive.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 1:23am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 1:41pm
Yes, very important step here. I have not been able to find any published data on when the various .303 ammunition makers went to non-corrosive primers, best to assume all WWII ammo is corrosive. I shot at least 1000 rounds of Canadian surplus WWII Mk VIIz, and didn’t even consider it could be corrosive at the time, but I always cleaned the bore with Hoppes 9 afterwards, and never detected any bore pitting. This rifle still shoots very well, it will be a sad day when the groups start to open up.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 11:14am
I was looking up something in this thread & came across the post where you fired the primers in the pulled rounds.

Did you clean for corrosive ammo afterwards?

I ask because the primers are THE source for the corrosive salts!
If you haven't already please remember to clean for corrosive as soon as possible!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 5:38am
Thanks for the pics.
Beer
That step is way smaller than I expected from descriptions & drawings.
Chattffl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chattffl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 4:46am
Southern Ohio Gun
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 3:20am
Given the scarcity of mil-surp ammo, I'll ask again:

Where did you get this stuff?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 2:06am
30 years ago I fired a round that I was a little uncertain about.
I still have metal in my arm where the barrel and breech exploded. Not an Enfield by the way.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 6:04pm
id not shoot it if it were me - anymore i always er on the side of caution , hope you get your mony back or recover most of it in one way or another 
Chattffl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chattffl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 5:02pm
Here you go. A bit blurry, but best I could get without my Nikon :-)

I fired the primers only in these I pulled. Very weak. A strike anywhere match has more power.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 2:19pm
"SR"

Royal Ordnance Factory, Spennymoor, Durham, UK. This factory was part of the 1939-45 war emergency expansion plan. It began production of .303 Ammunition in 1941 initially with the headstamp code of two arrows replacing these in 1942 with the code SR. The Spennymoor Ammunition was filled at the Royal Ordnance Factory, Aycliffe, Durham. Types... B, MK7, MK8Z, IBMK6, IBMK6Z, IBMK7, IBMK7Z,LTBLK (Mk5) were manufactured."

I'd actually be curious to see that bullet pulled & photographed! Its supposed to be a stepped boat tail, but I've never actually seen one! (You can probably wiggle it out with your fingers with the split neck.)

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 11:52am
It's not for nothing that MK8Z is known as 'Bore Buster'.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic