Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting frustrated...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVPD16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting frustrated...
    Posted: August 02 2018 at 8:10pm
...Just when I think I have this rifle identified, I find different information. What exactly do I have here! Please help me I think I'm going to go mad! LOL  
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 3:42am
You have a No 1 Mk III* dispersal rifle made by BSA in 1942. It has had the wood cut back to make it a little lighter for sporting purposes. It would have originally looked similar to this:

MVPD16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVPD16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 7:36am
Thank you very much!!! What is a dispersal rifle?
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 8:13am
x2 on the dispersal rifle, parts made in different workshops around the country and then assembled at BSA during the height of the Blitz.. 

Sht.LE Mk.III*

Rifles at this period in time were in very short supply. Without a doubt this one would have been rushed to be put into the hands of a soldier and used in the downfall of Hitler.

Metalwork looks to be untouched, just the wood has been customised to sporter configuration. It is restorable back to its original mil spec glory, if you don't mind spending lots of money on replacement parts.

Good deer gun as is...... I have its twin (two or three of its twins actually).
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
MVPD16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVPD16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 8:52am
Thank you very much for all the info and assistance from everyone on this forum. Could anyone tell me why this gun has the bladed front site instead of the original on it? Also what is the little star mean after the model designation. And what is the GR in reference to?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 2:37pm
George Rex (King george)
It has been sporterized - front sight replaced with a sport.
Loose wimmen tightened here
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 3:10pm
Both the sights look original I think.
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 4:25pm
The front sight blade is the original type used on this rifle. It is usually covered by the nose cap that incorporates sight protector ears.

As mentioned, GR is for King George the Sixth, the reigning monarch when this rifle was made.

The * is a modifier to the model designation to denote that this is a Mark III rifle that incorporates some changes to the original spec. This appeared around the turn of 1915/16 with some some WWI manufacturing concessions that carried forward to future models. Namely the deletion of the long range volley sights and the the removal of the magazine cut off plate. 

Post war the cut off plate was reintroduced, but the volley sights became defunct, their tactical role on the battle field largely taken over by the machine gun.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 7:45pm
well , when the germans were bombing englad BSA was still making the no1 mkIII/III* rifles - they were in need of rifles after dunkirk , most everything was put in service including the mkV trials rifles and bits , but they dispersed the production/assembly to small plants all over the country to try to keep the bombing from stopping the process , 

all BSA rifles of the no1 variety are considered dispersals after 1940-41 , mostly made in 42 , you will note the lack of care in the marking and mfgr process in those years , not because they did not care but because of the urgent need - lots of previously discarded bits got used if they met spec and could be assembled into complete rifles 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic