Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on screw in front of wrist band No4 mk2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on screw in front of wrist band No4 mk2
    Posted: August 10 2018 at 2:46pm
Hi everyone

I have another question regarding the long screw that in just in front of the wrist band,

It screws in but I need to ask how tight must it be, if I turn it to much it comes out the other side of the stock and then it not even "locked down" yet, so I didn't want to tighten it to much, so I tightened it just enough that I feels slightly "stiff",

Can anyone advise as to what this screw is for and how tight should it be, thanks again
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 6:45pm
I have to chuckle because when I got my No 4 Mk 2 I had the exact same question. What the screw is for is to pull the foreend together so it doesn't splay out. It helps make it so the foreend bears against the wrist properly under recoil. The Mk 2's are like that because the trigger is hung from the receiver. The Mk 1's have the trigger hung from the trigger guard and so the back end of the foreend for those is different. As for how tight, nice and snug is all. You don't want to crank it down, just snug it up good.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 8:03pm
Perfect explanation, Bear.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 7:01am
Just as a visual reference here is mine. Proud of the little nut but not sticking out beyond the wood surface.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 10:04am
I have one of those screws and nut with a shortened thread, done by somebody long ago. I have to think it was done so the thread didn't stick out too far and catch on something.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 12:23pm
I've seen 2 styles of the cross bolt hole, one with a little brass insert the other without, maybe that the reason for the "extra" length?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 1:40pm
Yes, a brass round nut and screw. I have one of those sets in one of my sporter rifles as it came to me that way. As a matter of fact my #4 Parker Hale has the brass set as well.
Myne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 7:01am
Thanks for all the advice guys,

I have snugged it up but it only starts to feel snug when the thread is almost flush with the stock, so then give it another half twist and the thread is above the stock,

Could possibly add two small spring washers tongue bolt to shorten the bolt length? Thanks.
Myne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 7:48am
Hi guys,

I just wanted to confirm something, when you say to tighten the screw "snug", I have turned the screw in freely until the it a slight bit of "stiffness" when turning then just give it about another half turn but not locking it down, is this correct, thanks
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 8:02am
Yes, that should suffice.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 8:12am
Sounds right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic